The Deputy Director for Programs, Engineering, works closely with the Director to lead the Directorate's program related activities which span the full range of Langley's program/project portfolio – from spaceflight to technology demonstrations to aeronautics research. The Engineering Directorate (ED) functions as a core resource for providing systems engineering and discipline engineering skills to the rest of the Center.
Learn more about this agency
- Shares responsibility with the Director and Deputy Director in successful execution of funded program and project elements.
- Shares responsibility with the Director and Deputy Director to ensure development of selected capabilities needed to support programs and build future capabilities, programs, and elements aligned with NASA mission needs.
- Serves as Directorate lead for program-related activities and serves as the focal point for relationships with the Langley Product Units and with external Program Offices.
- Leads the Directorate management of project execution, including organizing/negotiating workforce assignments w/Branch Heads & Project Managers, providing project oversight, and representing the Directorate at cost, schedule, & performance reviews.
- Leads the Directorate resource management process for project execution, and advises the Director on all program matters.
- Represents the Directorate in the management of new program and project development and negotiates program agreements, which includes budget, workforce, and key personnel assignments.
- Actively develops and negotiates partnerships and collaborations with other NASA Center's engineering organizations, industry and academia to accomplish NASA and Langley's goals
Occasional travel – Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Conditions of Employment
- A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES.
- First time SES appointees are subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Occasional travel may be required
- Position subject to random drug testing
To qualify, candidates must have the skill and ability to perform the duties described above as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/managerial experience, normally with several years at the GS-15 level or equivalent, which demonstrates clearly the ability to manage people and resources. Candidates must also demonstrate qualifications in the managerial and technical areas noted below. See the SES Handbook and NASA's Guide to Effectively Preparing Executive Core Qualifications for more information. IMPORTANT: CANDIDATES MUST FULLY ADDRESS ALL ITEMS UNDER EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS AS WELL AS ALL ITEMS UNDER TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS OFF-LINE IN ADVANCE OF BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, SO THAT YOU CAN INSERT THEM INTO THE ELECTRONIC FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Leading Change – Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People – Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven – Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen – Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions – Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
1. Demonstrated effectiveness in leading multi-disciplinary engineering efforts and expertise across the product life-cycle of complex aerospace systems including working with multiple programs/projects to negotiate detailed plans for workforce, facilities, budgets, and schedules.
2. Demonstrated experience monitoring technical and programmatic progress to identify and communicate issues as they emerge, providing guidance in resolving technical, staffing and facility issues, and working with the implementing project to find constructive solutions to problems.
Candidates must possess an engineering degree, preferably an advanced degree from an accredited engineering curriculum at an accredited college or university in a closely related engineering discipline
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position may be required to undergo a pre-employment background investigation. This announcement is for a career appointment to a position in the NASA Senior Executive Service (SES). Persons entering the SES for the first time are subject to a one-year probationary period. A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES. This statement will be used to avoid conflicting situations in employment through advice and counseling. Your USAJOBS account asks you to assign a name to each of your resumes. When you apply to a NASA position, we will show you the text of the resume you have submitted, but we do not maintain the name you have assigned to that resume. If you wish to keep track of that information, we recommend you make note of it at the time you apply.
Fair Employment Opportunities for Applicants
NASA Credit for National Service
Applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information clearance. This clearance is not required in advance.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel based on the managerial and technical qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Interviews, and qualification and suitability inquiries may be requested. The highly-qualified will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
NASA's application process has been specifically developed to ensure that we only ask you for the information we absolutely need to evaluate your qualifications and eligibility. In order to apply for this position, you need to submit your resume and answer the screening questions and supplemental information. You must also respond to both the Executive Core Qualifications (Managerial Qualifications) and the Technical Qualifications. No additional documentation is accepted at the time of application. In this way we allow you to focus on preparing a resume that best describes your background and abilities. For assistance in preparing your resume, consult the Applicant Guide . Nothing further is required unless we make you an employment offer. At that point, we may ask you to submit documentation to support statements made in your resume. For example, we may ask you to provide academic transcripts or proof of Federal employment status. If you fail to provide the required documents within the stated time period, we may use that as a basis for withdrawing our employment offer.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com