The purpose of the CY Program Assistant is to provide appropriate developmental care and instruction for children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years in one or more CY Programs. This position is located at the Youth Center on Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach Va.
Learn more about this agency
The duties and responsibilities of the CY Program Assistant have been grouped into categories, including curriculum, indoor and outdoor environment, interactions and relationships, supervision of children and youth, parent and employee communication, assessment, compliance, and additional responsibilities. Each is described below.
Assists in implementing and leading planned activities for program participants. Uses prepared curriculum and program materials. Incorporates special instructions provided by parents such as special dietary needs, physical needs, or other information that may affect the child or youth's experience in the program. Cares for children and youth with special needs as directed by the supervisor.
Promotes and models safety, fitness, health, and nutrition practices.
Helps arrange for and/or serve appropriate snacks or meals where applicable.
Indoor and Outdoor Environment
Helps prepare, arrange, and maintain indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedules.
Helps create adult-made games and play materials (mixing paint and play dough and assembling props for dramatic plays, activities, etc.).
Assists with developing a list of needed supplies and equipment for submission to the supervisor.
Interactions and Relationships
Helps establish a program environment that promotes positive interactions with other children, youth, and adults.
Interacts with children and youth using approved child guidance and youth development techniques as provided by supervisors.
Supervision of Children and Youth
Provides care and supervision, oversight, and accountability for program participants in compliance with the Department of Defense (DoD), NAF Component, and local installation policies, guidance, and standards.
Maintains control of and accounts for whereabouts and safety of children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years.
Ensures children and youth (as applicable) depart with authorized person according to written parental instructions.
Supervises children and youth during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings, and special events.
Observes program participants for signs that may indicate illness, abuse, or neglect and reports as directed. Incumbent is a mandatory reporter to Family Advocacy and Child Protective Services as prescribed by local policy in the case of suspected incidences of child abuse and neglect.
Parent and Employee Communication
Interacts professionally with employees, parents, and local installation command personnel.
Participates in program evaluation as required.
Assists in achieving and maintaining DoD certification and national accreditation where applicable.
Ensures compliance with law, policies, and regulations applicable to DoD CY programs.
Notifies supervisor of health, fire, and safety compliance concerns.
Assists in maintaining program participation data and completing required reports.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be willing and able to perform a background check.
- Must upload High Diploma or equivalent.
Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Position is subject to special inoculation and immunization requirements as a condition of employment for working with children. Employee is required to obtain appropriate immunization against communicable diseases in accordance with recommendations from the Advisory Commitee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), which requires the influenza vaccine.
- In accordance with Department of the Navy Test Designated Position listing issued 7 October 2003 this position is subject to both pre-employment and random drug testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test, or failure to submit for testing, may become the basis for removal from this position.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical, provide evidene of immunization and be free from communicable disease.
- Satisfactorily complete all background checks in accorance with PL 101-647 to include National Agency Check with Written Inquiries (NACI).
- Must satisfactorily obtain or complete required training certificates and maintain certifications or credentials required by federal, state or National Accrediation insitutions utilized as part of DOD's Child and Youth Programs.
Must upload High School Diploma or equivalent.
We utilize E-Verify to confirm selectee's eligibility to work in the United States.
Salary is dependent on experience and/or education.
For positions requiring travel more than twice per year, selectee may be required to obtain and maintain in good standing a Government-issued Travel Card for official government travel purposes.
The Department of the Navy (DON) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants are assured of equal consideration regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, reprisal, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor. This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they may require reasonable accommodations should email their request to nsapplications nhr-ma.com to ensure proper consideration is given. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
This activity is a Drug-Free workplace. The use of illegal drugs by NAF employees, whether on or off duty, cannot and will not be tolerated. Federal employees have a right to a safe and secure workplace, and Sailors, their family members, and all other customers have a right to a reliable and productive Federal workforce. NOTE: Marijuana is a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act and therefore use of marijuana is illegal under Federal law regardless of State laws. A positive drug test result for marijuana (or any other drug tested for) will result in withdrawal of the tentative job offer and ineligibility to apply for a position within the Department of Defense for 6 months from the date of the drug test.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All resumes will be reviewed to determine if they meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement, and will be rated based on the information provided in the resume to determine the level of knowledge, skill, and ability, related to the job requirements. Using the qualifications of the position, a predetermined rating criterion of knowledge, skills, and abilities will be used for each resume. Best qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews.
Click the following link to preview the applicant questionnaire: Preview Applicant Questionnaire .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- USAJobs Resume
- DD Form 2981. Statement of Admission. http: www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd2981.pdf
- Proof of education (transcripts/copy of degree/high school diploma), if applicable to position requirements.
- If claiming Veteran's Preference, a legible copy of DD-214 (page 4) as well as any other supporting documentation (disability, proof of service, SF-15, etc). is required.
- If claiming Military Spouse Preference, a copy of sponsor's orders is required for NF-03 and below or equivalent.
- If claiming Department of Defense (DOD) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Business Based Action (BBA) Priority consideration, submit a copy of the notice of separation.
- If you are a current federal employee, submit your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org