The incumbent serves as the Director of the Resource Management Office within the Space Technology Mission Directorate (STMD), reporting to the Deputy Associate Administrator. The incumbent is responsible for providing guidance, direction, focus, and evaluation of policy development, strategic planning, and support to the development, advocacy, and execution of the Space Technology Mission Directorate's annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion.
Learn more about this agency
- Supports the STMD Associate Administrator in determining and presenting the STMD program to NASA senior management, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Congress, and other agencies and organizations.
- Provides evaluation and assessment support of all STMD program and project budget requirements and activities required to implement and execute the STMD annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion.
- Directs the evaluation and assessment of all STMD program and project budget requirements.
- Manages the development of documentation presented to the OMB and to Congress for justifying and advocating the entire STMD portfolio of programs.
- Evaluates the financial performance of all STMD programs and projects including rates of fund utilization distribution of civil service and contractor staffing, and analysis of variances to established plans.
- Serves as principle liaison between STMD and the Office of the Chief Financial Officer on budget
policies, systems, procedures, and issues.
Occasional travel – Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Conditions of Employment
- A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES.
- First time SES appointees are subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Occasional travel may be required
- This is a drug-testing designated position
- Successful completion of a security investigation will be required
1. Demonstrated experience and ability with agency budget formulation process and procedures (i.e., the annual Planning Program Budget Execution process, development of the Strategic Programming Guidance and Program Resource Guide, Programmatic and Institutional Guidance guide, Program Management Request, Congressional Justifications, etc.).
2. Demonstrated experience and ability to plan, develop, and advocate for a billion dollar budget involving multiple technical and/or technology programs and projects including experience dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders (e.g., Executive Branch organizations, Congressional organizations, commercial, and academic entities).
3. Demonstrated ability to integrate and implement the resources control of multiple large and complex research and technology programs and projects (including funds utilization, cost and schedule control, plans vs. actual, earned value, resources allocation and program/project performance, etc.), and develop and recommend resources reallocations to solve problems and ensure effective funds utilization within a limited budget.
To qualify, candidates must have the skill and ability to perform the duties described above as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/managerial experience, normally with several years at the GS-15 level or equivalent, which demonstrates clearly the ability to manage people and resources. Candidates must also demonstrate qualifications in the managerial and technical areas noted below. See the SES Handbook and NASA's Guide to Effectively Preparing Executive Core Qualifications for more information. IMPORTANT: CANDIDATES MUST FULLY ADDRESS ALL ITEMS UNDER EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS AS WELL AS ALL ITEMS UNDER TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS OFF-LINE IN ADVANCE OF BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, SO THAT YOU CAN INSERT THEM INTO THE ELECTRONIC FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED. EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:1. Leading Change – Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. 2. Leading People – Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. 3. Results Driven – Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. 4. Business Acumen – Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. 5. Building Coalitions – Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
There are no education requirements for this position.
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position may be required to undergo a pre-employment background investigation. This announcement is for a career appointment to a position in the NASA Senior Executive Service (SES). Persons entering the SES for the first time are subject to a one-year probationary period. A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES. This statement will be used to avoid conflicting situations in employment through advice and counseling. Your USAJOBS account asks you to assign a name to each of your resumes. When you apply to a NASA position, we will show you the text of the resume you have submitted, but we do not maintain the name you have assigned to that resume. If you wish to keep track of that information, we recommend you make note of it at the time you apply.
Fair Employment Opportunities for Applicants
NASA Credit for National Service
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel based on the managerial and technical qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Interviews, and qualification and suitability inquiries may be requested. The highly-qualified will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
NASA's application process has been specifically developed to ensure that we only ask you for the information we absolutely need to evaluate your qualifications and eligibility. In order to apply for this position, you need to submit your resume and answer the screening questions and supplemental information. You must also respond to both the Executive Core Qualifications (Managerial Qualifications) and the Technical Qualifications. No additional documentation is accepted at the time of application. In this way we allow you to focus on preparing a resume that best describes your background and abilities. For assistance in preparing your resume, consult the Applicant Guide . Nothing further is required unless we make you an employment offer. At that point, we may ask you to submit documentation to support statements made in your resume. For example, we may ask you to provide academic transcripts or proof of Federal employment status. If you fail to provide the required documents within the stated time period, we may use that as a basis for withdrawing our employment offer.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com