Cirrus Aircrafts Mission is to deliver an aviation experience that is the pinnacle of innovation, quality, and safety to our customers. Cirrus Aircraft is the recognized global leader in personal aviation and the maker of the best-selling SR Series piston aircraft and the Vision Jet, the worlds first single engine Personal Jet and recipient of the 2017 Robert J. Collier Trophy. Founded in 1984, the company has redefined performance, comfort and safety in aviation with innovations like the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS) the first FAA-certified whole-airframe parachute safety system included as standard equipment on an aircraft. To date, worldwide flight time on Cirrus aircraft has passed nine million hours and over 170 people have returned home safely to their families as a result of the inclusion of CAPS as a standard feature on all Cirrus aircraft. Find out more at www.cirrusaircraft.com.
Cirrus offers a competitive benefits package and is dedicated to the advancement of general aviation. The Cirrus Flying Club offers employees and their family members the unique opportunity to obtain their private pilots license in the comfort of a Cirrus or rent a Cirrus for an impromptu adventure at a greatly reduced rate. We are committed to investing in the future of our employees and company by offering professional development and career progression opportunities and we engage employees by offering several employee and family events throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to take part in activity clubs and community events.
Cirrus Aircraft — a market leader committed to redefining personal aviation — is looking for a talented Corporate Counsel to join our lean and dynamic legal team. Reporting to the SVP & General Counsel, with a dotted line to the Assistant General Counsel, the Corporate Counsel will provide broad-based legal support to the Legal Department and other colleagues throughout Cirruss vibrant and growth-oriented global organization, all in a manner that displays legal excellence, attention to detail, a proactive and practical approach, and an unwavering dedication to customer service.
The Corporate Counsel will be a corporate generalist position supporting Cirrus business teams on a variety of day-to-day legal matters, including contracts and contract negotiation, aircraft related agreements, regulatory compliance, general corporate law and intellectual property matters. The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of broad-based legal experience in dealing with sophisticated issues. A background that incorporates a mixture of law firm and in-house experience is preferred, as is specialty experience in corporate law, aviation law and/or intellectual property. Its also a must to be a team player, a person willing to roll up ones sleeves to take on new challenges, and a person who enjoys practicing law.
Duties and Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements and contracts, including aircraft sales agreements, supply/procurement agreements, real estate and lease agreements, marketing and sponsorship agreements, business development agreements, etc.
- Develop and implement intellectual property strategies tailored for product development and technology initiatives, including advising senior management on patent matters and freedom-to-operate matters while driving internal education initiatives related to intellectual property.
- Help manage Cirrus global trademark, copyright, and domain portfolios, and provide counsel on the selection of trademarks, trademark clearance, and trademark oppositions and disputes.
- Manage a wide variety of corporate law matters, including compliance with corporate laws, preparation of corporate resolutions, maintenance of corporate records, assisting with corporate transactions, and drafting other corporate documents, agreements, and instruments.
- Collaborate with outside counsel on the drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications worldwide.
- Provide high-quality, pragmatic, and proactive legal advice and service with a focus on the general aviation industry, including providing counsel on FAA rules and regulations and guidance on export control issues.
- Organize, enable, and drive other Legal Department continuous improvement projects with minimal supervision and conduct legal research as necessary to support the Legal Departments initiatives.
- Assist with the management and support of litigation and claims matters, including product liability litigation, intellectual property, and commercial litigation and discovery/e-discovery activities associated with each.
- Target, develop, and manage the Legal Departments monetization and revenue generation support activities and strategic initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Monitor and maintain current knowledge of aviation industry trends in legal and compliance matters and pursuing ongoing professional development to maintain current knowledge on best practices and risk management.
- Regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Travel requirements estimated at 10%.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials.
- Current attorney licensed and in good standing in at least one State with the ability to become licensed to practice law in Minnesota.
- 5-10 years of varied corporate law experience (preferably a portion of which gained in an in-house corporate setting)
- Proven negotiation, drafting and analytical skills for various types of commercial contracts. Must be a skilled writer and drafter with a steadfast attention-to-detail.
- Strong oral and written communications, presentation, and facilitation skills. Must interact confidently, persuasively and diplomatically with all levels of Cirrus organization. Must also be a good listener.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment, and be comfortable with minimal supervision.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Action Oriented: Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Communicates Effectively: Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match shifting demands of different situations.
- Prior in-house corporate generalist experience.
- Prior general aviation legal experience.
- Prior hands-on intellectual property experience.
This opportunity is located in Duluth, Minnesota. As the home to our corporate headquarters, Duluth is a four-season city on the western tip of Lake Superior and was voted Best Town by Outside Magazine. The splendor of the largest freshwater lake in the world offers a multitude of outdoor activities for adventure or rejuvenation. The North Shore lifestyle is known its year-round activities, including bicycle and snowmobile trails, kayaking, rock climbing, fishing, hiking, golfing, sailing and skiing. And as a top employer in the area, Cirrus Aircraft was recently named Best Overall Large Company to Work for in the Northland and Best Workplace Culture by the Duluth News Tribune readers.
Cirrus is dedicated to a drug free work environment promoting equal employment opportunity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, age, disability, religion, pregnancy, veteran status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, receipt of public assistance, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org