This position is to provide direction and technical advice in communicating agency programs and policies.
Learn more about this agency
As a Public Affairs Specialist you will:
- Plan, initiate, and implement comprehensive public affairs campaigns and activities to enhance the understanding of the agency's programs and health statistics among the general public and specialized groups and organizations.
- Advise agency's top management officials on the possible public and media reactions to health statistics analyses and proposed policy statements or agency actions.
- Conduct an internal information program or programs designed for the benefit of all employees employed by the organization.
- Maintain liaison with subordinate organizations' public affairs activities and/or personnel to produce ideas or communication materials to serve the agency mission.
- Coordinate news media interviews with staff and oversee arrangements with media representatives involving organization activities.
- Establish and maintain relations with the news media in enlisting their cooperation in providing the public with information.
- Survey mass and specialized media coverage of agency activities/health statistics and recommend methods and techniques for disseminating information that will increase public awareness of programs/health statistics and benefits to the public.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with representatives of news media in facilitating communication.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel domestically 2% of the time for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized:No
- Research position: No
- Promotion potential: Yes: This position has promotion potential to GS-12. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Supervisory position: No
- Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Minimum Qualification GS-09:
Masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related
Must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-07 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience maintaining media relationships, advising management officials, and disseminating and communicating statistics and health information to a variety of target audiences.
Minimum Qualification GS-11:
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related.
Must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience interpreting statistics and statistical trends, and disseminating and communicating statistics and health information to a variety of target audiences through written and visual materials.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit:
https: www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html .
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D2-20-10702925 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
To Remain An Active Duty USPHS Commissioned Corps Officer
- Join more than 6,500 highly qualified public health professionals as part of the U.S. Public Health Service. Overseen by the Surgeon General, you will be part of an elite and diverse team of professionals essential to public health leadership and exemplary clinical service
- PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps, you are welcome to apply and receive a courtesy referral. Note that a courtesy referral is not a competitive civil service process and does not provide civil service status for the selected employee. Click Here for the comparison chart of Commissioned Corps ranks to civil service, which advises you on potential billet rankings.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
The utilization of shared certificates within multiple Centers of the Center of Disease Control and Prevention may be used from this vacancy announcement for specialties to include but not limited to: Applied Epidemiology, Behavioral Epidemiology, Chronic Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response, Emerging Infectious Diseases, Environmental Health, HIV/AIDS, Immunization, Infectious Diseases (e.g. Viral, Parasitic, etc.), Influenza, Malaria, Non-communicable Diseases, Outbreak Investigations, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs), Surveillance, Tropical Medicine, Tuberculosis (TB), Viral Hepatitis, and/or Zoonotic Diseases.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference see http: www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service, www.sss.gov .
For information on "People with Disabilities" please see http: opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
and https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/getting-a-job/sampleschedaletters.pdf .
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http: opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10702927
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Continuous Development
- Customer Service
- Digital Information Dissemination
- External and Organizational Awareness and Partnership Development
- Foundations in Health Communication and Marketing
- Issues Analysis, Planning, Advising, and Consulting
- News Media Information Dissemination
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Public Affairs Science and Decision Making
- Written Communication
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- Most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (The SF-50 should include your tenure code in Item Number 24 of the document), if applicable
- Transcripts (if required)*
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter, if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate
- Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal).
- *Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
For Active Duty USPHS Commissioned Corps Officers
- Submit your latest Personnel Order (PHS-7063) as an USPHS Active Duty Commissioned Officer
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https: help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org