With a presence in 50 countries and more than 18,000 employees, Imerys is a global leader in mining and processing industrial minerals. We also develop new technologies that are incorporated into thousands of products that we all use every day. We do our work while meeting ambitious criteria for responsible development, social responsibility, and environmental stewardship.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
Based at our North American headquarters in Roswell, Georgia, you will serve as the principal business lawyer in North America for our Ceramics & Building Products segment, which provides minerals and technical solutions for customers producing everything from kitchen sinks to insulation for cryogenic tanks for the storage of liquefied gasses with boiling points as low as -452F. You will also represent our Graphite & Carbon business, a smaller business unit that produces specialty materials used in sophisticated batteries and other cutting edge applications. And while all of our lawyers have opportunities to work with colleagues around the world, the incumbent for this position will also have the unique opportunity to manage (through outside counsel) the Imerys Groups legal work in Mexico.
You will serve as a strategic advisor to the business, advising on all manner of new initiatives while promoting responsible growth and proactively managing legal risk. Our team is not a back-office contract mill; instead, youll be closely connected with your clients. Youll attend their meetings, learn their lines of business, and take an active role in strategy and negotiations. You will be a valued partner to your clients, and a member of a cohesive legal team that supports a global powerhouse in our industry.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary business lawyer in the US, Canada, and Mexico for the lines of business described above. Get involved, explore the business, and participate.
- Draft, negotiate, and finalize a wide variety of commercial agreements, sometimes in collaboration with colleagues on our international legal team. Be prepared to work on complicated contracts, as these are innovative teams. Their contracts require a high level of skill and creativity.
- Manage the Groups legal work in Mexico. Several of our business segments have very successful operations in Mexico, and you will manage (from Roswell) our outside legal counsel there.
- Assist with additional tasks and projects as required, including mergers & acquisitions and other significant business transactions. We are looking for someone who is genuinely interested in both the law and in businessand someone who wants to be part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- Five or more years of experience, either in-house or at a reputable law firm. The best candidates will have had responsibility for drafting and negotiating complex agreements directly (e.g., in M&A or commercial business transactions) in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage independently a large number and variety of critical projects.
- Sound and practical business judgment and a keen interest in deeply understanding the business.
- Consistent, responsive, high-quality legal service in a dynamic business environment.
- Preferred: We are looking for a constant learner who wants a variety of experiences, including different roles within a global legal department.
- Minimal travel required (est. fewer than 15 days per year).
- Roswell, GA (North American Headquarters).
- Reports directly to the Deputy General Counsel & Commercial Director, North America.
Imerys is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Imerys are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Imerys will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org