This position is in the Infectious Disease Branch (IDB), Division of Epidemiology and Disease Prevention (DEDP), Office of Public Health Support (OPHS) in Rockville, Maryland. The incumbent supports the Indian Health Service (IHS) National Immunization Program to improve immunization coverage and eliminate disparities in vaccine-preventable diseases among American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) populations. The incumbent in this position reports to the Chief, Infectious Disease Branch. .
Learn more about this agency
- Manage the Indian Health Service (IHS) IHS immunization system reporting system and process: Manages and supports the development and maintenance of the IHS National Immunization Reporting System (NIRS) and IHS Influenza Awareness System (IIAS). Duties include but are not limited to compiling and disseminating immunization coverage reports, ongoing provision of technical assistance and training to IHS HQ, Area, and health care delivery system staff; supports ongoing trouble shooting and maintenance of associated data collection, storage and utilization systems.
- Consultation on Scientific and Technical Immunization-related issues: Serves as an immunization-related scientific and technical consultant to IHS headquarters, IHS Administrative Areas, and IHS health care delivery system facilities and other organizations. Duties include but are not limited to disseminating and presenting related immunization and immunization system information, developing and disseminating scientific literature and formal reports and providing operational support for integrating IHS immunization systems with state immunization information exchange systems.
- Provides training and education on immunization-related topics. Conducts in-person and remote presentations to various audiences immunization tracking and related topics. Supports development and implementation of IHS immunization reporting systems, including but not limited to establishing stakeholder input processes, ongoing system improvement, and performing other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 02/18/2020
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Examples include: Experience with assistance in public health initiatives and the execution of basic activities using established patient demographic, health condition, or immunization data for affected individuals; collecting data for analysis to prepare reports for assessing and evaluating program operations; implementation of activities under existing cooperative agreements, contracts, and other health-related grant funding awards; performing duties related to the development, extension, and improvement of health care delivery initiatives and systems; explains program policies, procedures, activities, services, and benefits to clinical and public health personnel and third parties; and works on public health projects of limited complexity as part of a larger public health project .
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement. Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https: www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https: www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
The locality rate of pay will vary based on designated duty station location.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: https: www.usphs.gov/ .
~~~IHS – Operated Properties are tobacco free~~~
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Oral Communication
- Project Management
- Teaching Others
- Technical Competence
- Written Communication
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance. CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a "well qualified" rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Workforce Restructuring Career Transition website at: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ . CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) – https: www.ihs.gov/jobs/support-documents/
Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10700484 .
All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 02/18/2020, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
Required as applicable for the purposes of specific eligibility and appointment claim(s), and position requirements:
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https: www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf . When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans preference the rules regarding Veterans preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference:If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veterans Preference, submit a SF-15 Application ( http: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: http: www.fedshirevets.gov .
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF-50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles: submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts, Degrees, Licensure, Certifications: Copies of Transcripts (Official or Unofficial), Degrees, Licenses, and/or Certifications are not required at the time of application. Applicants must list their education history including the type of degree(s) and major of study, and completion or anticipated completion (month and year) on their resume. If a position requires a certain number of credit hours in specific course work for qualification purposes, applicants must submit a transcript (official/unofficial) or provide documentation/list the relevant courses on their resume. Applicants for positions not requiring a certain number of credit hours but a degree may submit a copy of their official/unofficial transcripts or a list of courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades (needed for SAA) but they are not required. However, official transcripts are required after tentative selection and prior to issuing an official job offer. Applicants should list their license/certifications on their resume, along with the expiration date, if applicable.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org