This temporary position is located in the Architect of the Capitol, Office of the Chief Operating Officer, Director Planning and Project Management, Construction Division, Construction Branch. The selectee will provide on-site construction direction for multiple projects and is responsible for various trades performing construction work at the site, including overall coordination of the individual trade and laboring efforts related to the project.
Learn more about this agency
***TEMPORARY POSITION, NTE 2 YEARS***
*TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT MAY BE RENEWED*
This position is temporary in nature and is not to exceed two years This is strictly a temporary appointment where there is no permanent need or permanent funding available for the work involved and that the temporary appointment is limited in duration. The duration of this temporary appointment may be shorter or longer, depending on the duration of the work or project. The temporary position may also be terminated at any time due to lack of work and/or lack of funds without any advance notice. As a non-permanent employee, you may also be separated for failure to meet management's expectations, with no advance notice.
TOUR OF DUTY: Day (5:00 A.M. – 1:30 P.M.) Night (8:00 P.M. – 4:30 A.M.) Assigned Tour of Duty will be decided upon Selection.
HOURS MAY CHANGE DUE TO OPERATIONAL NEEDS OF MANAGEMENT
– Provides on-site construction direction and coordination to enforce safety, maintain schedules, ensure scope requirements are within budget and ensure quality standards are maintained. Directs construction teams to ensure tasks are done efficiently and effectively.
– Develops and submits requests for information and potential change orders. Ensures scope is complete and coordinates quality control inspections. Recommends acceptance or rejection of construction activities and tasks.
– Serves as construction representative in integrating the planning, development, programming, scheduling, oversight and overall management of resources for projects. Evaluates and recommends approval for changes and cost variations from design through construction to ensure completion is on time and within the budget. Briefs jurisdiction and agency management on construction activities, areas of concerns, and progress. Works with engineers and architects, outside consultants and AOC staff to resolve conflicts as they arise. Evaluates estimates for changes to the project, both financial and time impacts, and advises the appropriate parties of impacts to the project budget and schedule. Prepares project status reports, schedules and other items to keep jurisdictions and other parties informed on the status of the projects.
– Monitors and inspects contractor performance to ensure that the entire scope of the contract is performed and all quality requirements specified are in compliance. Develops effective quality assurance and surveillance plans to proactively identify deficiencies in work and material. Informs project construction manager of deficiencies so they can take appropriate action to correct noncompliant and deficient work.
– Utilizes a thorough knowledge of and compliance with applicable AOC and OSHA safety rules and regulations to ensure that work progresses in a safe manner and to initiate or take corrective action on unsafe conditions in managed areas. Provides or receives training, either on the job or through classroom training, to ensure that required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is utilized. Checks to verify that subordinates are using all required PPE.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- You must be able to pass a drug test.
- Your resume and question responses must demonstrate the job-related KSAs.
- You must meet the definition of specialized experience.
You must meet the United States Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) qualification requirements (including specialized experience and/or educational requirements) for the advertised position. You must meet all eligibility and qualifications requirements by the closing date of the job announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on the OPM web site at OPM qualification standards
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
Candidates for the GS-12 grade level must have at least 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is defined as the following:
(1) Overseeing and monitoring new construction, renovations, infrastructure improvements and building upgrade contracts.
(2) Working with project managers, jurisdictions, consultants and in-house resources to determine risks and making recommendations through changes in scope of work, construction documents and proactive oversight utilizing risk mitigation planning and/or removal of these risks.
(3) Recommending improvements in design and efficiencies, reducing changes to the contract and enhancing operations.
(4) Using a full range of industry best practices, project controls, CMB standard operating procedures (SOP) and various technologies in the oversight and management of contracts.
Welcome Veterans. The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) gives veterans' preference rights in the legislative branch to certain veterans as applied by the Congressional Accountability Act. Veterans' preference is applied on this vacancy announcement. If you are a veteran and have been separated under honorable conditions, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility; SF-15, if applicable; and Department of Veterans Affairs documentation of disability, if applicable. For more information, please visit OPM vet guide
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information.
DRUG TESTING: The Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is a Drug Free Workplace. As part of the AOC's suitability assessment, a candidate tentatively selected for a position who is not currently an AOC employee is required to submit to screening for illegal drug use. Satisfactory completion of a drug test is a condition of employment with the Agency. A candidate must test negative prior to being eligible for appointment into a position. We will schedule, provide and cover the cost for the drug test.
The selectee(s) under the vacancy announcement for this position is subject to a criminal record check by the U.S. Capitol Police and satisfactory adjudication to be eligible for employment at the Architect of the Capitol.
The Architect of the Capitol is an E-VERIFY Participant. E-VERIFY is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment authorization in the United States. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the DHS Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" electronic system. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http: www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm
The Architect of the Capitol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information and/or disability.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Moving expenses are not authorized.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
Probationary Period – A newly appointed selectee is subject to the completion of a one-year trial/probationary period, regardless of whether or not a trial/probationary period has been completed previously with the Architect of the Capitol or another Federal agency.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies in any of the jurisdictions of the Architect of the Capitol.
All application materials become the property of the Architect of the Capitol.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Your eligibility for consideration and qualifications for the position will be determined based upon a review of your detailed resume and your responses to job specific self-assessment questions.
Your resume will be evaluated based on evidence of your ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) for this position, possession of any specialized experience, and how well your background and experience relates to the self-assessment questions in the job announcement. The self-assessment questions relate to the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies:
–Knowledge of construction management processes and procedures.
–Knowledge of construction project controls and general contracting concepts.
–Ability to plan, implement and manage project controls of construction projects.
–Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
–Ability to communicate effectively orally.
Your responses to the self-assessment questions serve as the basis for your initial rating. You will receive a numerical score based on your responses to these questions. Next, your responses will be evaluated by a Human Resources Specialist and/or a subject matter expert against the information provided in your resume and optional cover letter. Your resume must support your answers to the self-assessment questions. Falsifying your background, education and/or experience is cause for non-selection or disqualification from further consideration.
Please note that a complete application is required for consideration. (Please review the "Required Documents" section of this job announcement to see what must be included in a complete application).
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The Architect of the Capitol's (AOC) job application process is designed to ensure you only provide information necessary to evaluate your qualifications and eligibility for the position vacancy.
To apply for this position, you only need to submit: a) your resume and b) answers to the online vacancy assessment questionnaire. The online questionnaire contains eligibility and screening questions and other relevant information. No additional documentation or attachments are required at the time of application.
Your resume should list your education, training and work experience including job titles, employment dates, duties and accomplishments.
Nothing further is required until it is requested by AOC's Human Capital Management Division. If additional documentation is required for the position, you will be asked to provide it during the interview or selection process. At that time, you may be asked to submit documentation to support statements made in your resume.
For example, you may be asked to provide a copy of your diploma, college transcripts, or proof of Federal employment status. If the position requires licensure or certification, you will be asked to provide proof at the time of selection.
If Veterans' preference is claimed, you will be asked to submit proof (DD-214, and, if claiming a 10-point preference, a SF-15 and the proof required by that form).
Failure to provide the required documents will end further consideration and/or result in the withdrawal of any tentative job offers.
Your application must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of this job announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org