Purpose of Job
Responsible for providing expert legal counsel to Senior Leaders including Executive Counsel for an operating area or staff agency within USAA. Responds to needs of the business unit by identifying and analyzing complex and unique legal issues and provide resolution for these legal matters. Ensures the company’s activities are conducted in compliance with applicable laws. Responsible for identifying and managing legal risk in association with USAA’s Risk Appetite and provide strategic direction. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization and has in-depth, expert knowledge in specific type of law, and/or the proven ability to lead teams to resolve complex issues. May work with outside counsel.
We are currently seeking a talented Sr Attorney – Technology & Transactions for the San Antonio Home Office I.
- Independently provides strategic and skillful legal counsel within area of expertise to manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA businesses.
- Leads highly complex legal and unique work assignments to deliver highly effective problem resolutions.
- Engages and collaborates with other legal experts within the company and at times outside counsel.
- Leads highly complex legal research and provide solution-oriented legal advice and counsel to senior level internal clients that support business objectives.
- Effectively manage and work with outside counsel to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Applies critical thinking to review complex and non-legal material for legal implications that may pose a risk to the organization.
- Produces clear and concise written materials appropriate for submission to senior level internal clients.
- May prepare written legal positions involving highly complex and unique issues that require a high degree of independent legal thought and strategy for resolution.
- May act as a legal point of contact and proactively partners with Compliance and the USAA businesses to mitigate legal compliance and legal risk.
- Keeps abreast of any changes in regulations and laws advising appropriate organizational leadership of such changes.
- Advises senior executive management, to include executive council, on issues.
- Leads and motivates cross-functional team members in strategy development and implementation of business solutions.
- May train less experienced lawyers on a day-to-day basis and serve as a resource to team members on escalated issues of a complex nature.
- Leads cross-functional assignments in the development and implementation of key initiatives.
- Anticipates opportunities and potential solutions and leads team through the problem resolution process.
- Performs all other tasks as assigned.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- Active member and in good standing of the bar in at least one state or territory
- 7 more years experience practicing law within legal area of expertise or other uniquely relevant experience
- Ability to exercise good judgment on complex legal matters
- Ability to influence members of executive management and executive council
- Ability to clearly distill complex legal issues into straightforward concepts for clients
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools and applicable software
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Experience with M&A transactions in the financial services industry.
- Experience with stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, and transition services agreements.
- Experience conducting due diligence.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement) or must have managers approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 10/20/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com