If you do not meet any of the categories listed above, you may wish to apply under announcement 20-HUD-484-P, which is open for any U.S. citizen to apply. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
Learn more about this agency
As a Supervisory Staff Accountant, you will:
- Participate fully with the Assistant CFO for Financial Management in directing, coordinating and evaluating the activities of the Audit Liaison Division, Financial Policy and Procedures Division, Funds Control Assurance Division, and Risk Management Division.
- Analyze, interpret, and oversee the implementation of new accounting standards/regulations developed by central agencies (e.g., Treasury, GAO, OMB, GSA, IRS) and advise management on the implications of the new standards and expected programmatic/financial impacts relative to implementation.
- Represent the Department from a financial risk management viewpoint, in dealing with professional organizations such as the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board, Association of Government Accountants, Financial Accounting Standards Board, Municipal Financial Officers Association and the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- Advise other financial management functional representatives, accountants, and program managers on regulatory requirements, financial policies, accounting standards, the interpretation of data, and the importance of financial data to program operations and improvements.
Conditions of Employment
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- U.S. Citizens and U.S. Nationals
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The mission of OCFO is to lead the Department's Headquarters and Field Office officials toward the understanding and practice of sound financial management in program development and operations, and in the stewardship of public resources.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience for the GS-15 is defined as one year of experience at the GS-14 level, or equivalent that is directly related to the position and which has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience for this position includes:
Supervising staff and managers in developing, implementing or assessing compliance with accounting standards, financial regulations, policies, and procedural instructions relevant to the Office of Chief Financial Officer or equivalent financial management office; AND
Interpreting and implementing Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); AND
Analyzing root cause of discrepancies or anomalies, assessing impacts of financial issues, proposing corrective actions and implementing the changes.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following time-in-grade requirement, if applicable:
For the GS-15, you must have been at the GS-14 level for 52 weeks.
Time After Competitive Appointment:
Candidates who are current Federal employees serving on a non-temporary competitive appointment must have served at least three months in that appointment.
Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting or in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following: Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– Relocation expenses will not be paid.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
– This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
– HUD offers alternative and flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– A one year supervisory or managerial probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
– Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
HUD employees are subject to a number of government-wide and HUD specific ethics laws and regulations, including restrictions on outside employment. To review applicable ethics rules, please visit https: portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/general_counsel/ethics
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Leadership, Technical, and Communication. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ),you must receive a rating of at least 84 out of 100 to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
CURRENT AND FORMER EMPLOYEES — Documentation Relating to Your Federal Employment:
– Submit a copy of your SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing competitive service as Tenure 1 or 2 (Block 24), Position Occupied as 1 – Competitive Service (Block 34), current Grade (Block 18) and Salary (Block 20). Typically Award SF-50s do not provide the required information. If the full performance level of your position is different from the grade indicated in Block 18, please provide proof of the full performance level.
– If your highest permanent grade is different from your current grade, submit a copy of an additional SF-50 showing that grade.
– If you are currently on a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), submit a copy of an SF-50 indicating that type of appointment. Also, you must submit a copy of your DD214 or other documentation showing dates of service and type of discharge and any other applicable documents such as SF-15, VA letters, etc.
Performance Appraisal (ALL APPLICANTS):
Submit a copy of all pages of your most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the last 12 months, that includes the final rating. In cases where the performance appraisal is more than 12 months old, incomplete or unavailable, you must attach a written explanation of the reasons.
If you are applying under a special hiring authority (e.g. Military Spouses, Interchange Agreement, VEOA, Schedule A Disability, etc.), please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be eligible under one of these authorities, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP/ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
In addition, we recommend that you submit copies of the following (if applicable):
Certificate as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com