Opportunity at a Glance
The Corporate Counsel Employment Law can provide significant support to the Senior Counsel Employment Law, the Legal Team and the organization. S/he has a substantive skillset, plus the interpersonal strengths, resourcefulness and drive to handle directly the wide-ranging routine legal needs of the Companys various businesses and functional departments.
- Provide legal counsel and advice across a variety of areas including employee relations, performance management, compliance, dispute resolution, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour issues, immigration, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, contingent workforce issues, and international laws and regulations.
- Advise HR professionals and business managers on enforcement of restrictive covenants and assist with review and drafting of same, as well as employment and independent contractor agreements.
- Keep internal clients updated about changes in federal, state and local laws and regulations, including updating policies and handbooks as necessary.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to provide strategic, business-oriented employment law guidance for successful execution of Company initiatives.
- Assist in employment-related aspects of company special projects such as mergers/acquisitions, as well as reductions in force, redundancies and location closings (e.g., US and global severance, WARN Act)
- Take the lead on EEOC and state claims and attorney demand letters, including investigating such claims and preparing responses to charges and investigations.
- Manage outside counsel spend where necessary.
- Support and contribute to Compliance/Employment Law/OEA teams annual objectives.
- Conduct assigned legal research and analyze legal issues with a focus on providing the business with legally compliant solutions that meet business needs.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Senior Counsel Employment Law and Vice President, Sr. Assoc. General Counsel, Compliance/Employment Law/OEA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J. D. from an accredited law school;
- Membership in good standing with the Illinois bar.
- 3-5+ years prior experience as an attorney practicing in a law firm or in-house with a minimum of 3 years practicing employment law.
- Ability and desire to seek responsibility and work autonomously. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously with strong follow-up and attention to detail.
- Approachable and patient with internal clients; with passion for providing excellent customer service.
- Excellent business-oriented judgement and the ability to analyze problems, provide pragmatic, solutions-oriented advice.
- Results-oriented self-starter who can work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with clients at all levels of the organization, including senior management.
- Team player, willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Demonstrated experience with employment agreements including restrictive covenants.
- Experience with immigration matters.
- Experience with developing and presenting training for employees and managers.
- Experience providing legal counsel to clients on benefits matters.
- Experience in education/academia.
- Good negotiating skills.
- Ability to travel up to 15%.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
At Adtalem Global Education, we seek to empower students and members to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Adtalem is a leading workforce solutions provider that partners with organizations to proactively address future workforce needs and empowers career development with access to world-class academic curriculums, certifications and training programs across the medical and healthcare and financial services industries.
Adtalem institutions and companies include: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, Becker Professional Education, Chamberlain University, EduPristine, OnCourse Learning, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. (NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) For more information, please visit adtalem.com.