At Trane Technologies we Challenge Possible. Our brands including Trane and Thermo King – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge whats possible for a sustainable world.
Experienced attorney supporting the Commercial HVAC Americas strategic business unit as well as other matters from time to time. This position will report to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel responsible for the business unit and for mergers and acquisitions for the Trane Technologies enterprise. The position will be based in Davidson, NC.
- Advise, negotiate and provide legal support to the Commercial HVAC Americas business unit in connection with U.S. Government, state/local government, and commercial/institutional energy savings performance agreements, complex HVAC-related construction agreements and subcontracts, architectural/engineering services and consulting agreements and other constructions agreements, related disputes and other matters with building owners, general contractors and subcontractors.
- Serve as a legal business partner to the sales, service and business personnel in the sales and execution of U.S. Government and commercial Comprehensive Solutions business and projects in competitive and negotiated projects, including legal analysis and interpretation of applicable statutory/regulatory requirements and contractual issues; developing strategic and tactical plans; identifying legal, contractual, and project risks; identifying and analyzing the companys claim rights and recovery; and identification, analysis and resolution of internal and external customer/project issues.
- Lead Companys legal compliance as a U.S. Government contractor by providing legal, compliance, and business counsel to business and functional leadership, sales and project personnel concerning regulatory and contractual requirements and government inquiries in connection with direct and indirect contracting (in all business streams) with the U.S. Government, and ensure appropriate compliance program, policy and procedures are in place, including assisting with developing processes and tools to effectuate, monitor, and demonstrate contract, legal, and policy compliance, training, and performance.
- From time to time, provide other general commercial legal support and analysis of customer solicitations, proposals and contracts for the sale of equipment, contracting, controls, parts and service and other general commercial areas, including sales, distribution, supply, marketing, communications, and contract management.
Qualifications & Key Competencies:
- J.D. degree from an accredited US law school
- Member in good standing of a State Bar Association
- 10+ years related legal experience – at least 4 years in-house and U.S. government contract experience preferred. Large law firm experience preferred also.
- Proven experience in commercial and transactional matters, preferably with knowledge of construction law and generally accepted industry practices
- Strong legal judgment
- Expert grasp of contracting concepts and superior legal and analytical skills excellent judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions and in creating and implementing standard tools to resolve recurring business and/or commercial issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to stand firm on issues with business clients when necessary
- Ability to quickly understand business objectives of an agreement, identify related issues, and facilitate a risk/benefit analysis
- Business-oriented approach to problem-solving, tempered by an appreciation for legal complexity and risk management
- Experience in litigation involving commercial agreements is an advantage
- Detail-oriented and resourceful with excellent follow-through skills
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure and prioritize and manage workload, manage simultaneous tasks and meet deadlines within a changing, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work well with colleagues and all levels of commercial and business functions at various locations
- Flexible and adaptable unafraid of ambiguity or a challenge
- Strong personal computer and presentation skills
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging whats possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.