Tribune Publishing, a media company rooted in award-winning journalism, is currently seeking a General Counsel & Corporate Secretary to join our team. Reporting to the CEO in our Chicago-based corporate headquarters, youll be responsible for providing legal counsel and guidance to protect its assets, property and interests and those of its shareholders. Additionally, youll provide legal services as required in legal proceedings and ensure organizations compliance with current laws.
Tribune Publishing is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
What You Will Do:
- Ensures that all legal matters are properly handled by the legal department and by outside law firms in the most fiscally responsible manner
- Protects the organizations interests in the areas of contracts, licensing, property, copyright, SEC filings and compliance, litigation, and in setting legal policies
- Represents management and the Board of Directors on all legal matters, serve as Board Secretary
- Participates with the CEO and executive team in developing the organizations strategies and plans
- Creates long-term strategies and operating objectives for the legal functions
- Projects and analyzes the likely outcomes of executive organizational decisions, including the long-term impact on business strategy and shareholder value
- Ensures alignment of the legal functions with the vision of the CEO
- Negotiates complex legal and related issues that affect the entire organization
- Manages ongoing litigation matters
- Keeps abreast of legislative and administrative regulatory developments for federal, state and local consideration
- Trains, coaches and mentors people. Ensures subordinates support related initiatives for their employees in accordance with company employee management policies
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned
- Thoughtful management of the legal department finances
This Could Be a Match if You Have:
- Juris Doctor degree (required) and admittance to Illinois state bar
- 10+ years of experience as a Corporate Attorney, previous General Counsel experience preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with SEC requirements and with state and federal securities laws that govern publicly traded securities
- Experience with labor law, union negotiations and or interactions with the NLRB
- Ability to negotiate complex agreements independently and/or collaboratively
- Solution-oriented approach, sound judgment, outstanding interpersonal and analytical skills, exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to calmly manage multiple priorities and projects in a fast paced and constantly evolving business environment
Tribune Publishing Company (TPCO) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Floridas Sun-Sentinel, Virginias Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and the Daily Meal and is majority owner of BestReviews.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
Learn more at tribpub.com