As an IT Specialist (INFOSEC) and member of the Agency's security team, you will serve as the Agency Information Security Specialist responsible for assisting the CISO in ensuring the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of FCA's computing environment. This position is located in the Office of Information Technology, Governance Division located in McLean, VA.
Learn more about this agency
Under the direction of the CISO, researches and analyzes security best practices, Federal security standards, and tools and evaluates ensure assure that all new and existing information systems computer systems and applications to ensure they are are secure and in compliance. with Federal security standards and laws. Assures that reporting requirements are completed in a timely manner. As an Information Technology Specialist, your specific duties include:
- Developing and providing training to staff and Agency management regarding the Agency's Information Security Program.
- Coordinating with the CISO to establish security policies, procedures and standards for Agency enterprise IT computing environment as well as reviewing and updating as needed.
- Performing ongoing security analysis on all computer operations, using automated tools when available to identify and migrate vulnerabilities, minimize risk, identify problems, prevent security incidents, and ensure that all systems incorporate Agency security policies and any problems are identified.
- Providing technical expertise for researching, analyzing, testing, and integrating tools that enhance security of FCA computing network and/or promote efficiency in maintaining the security of the computing environment.
- Collaborating with technology managers in OIT in tracking progress on computer initiatives and internal and external reporting requirements are met.
- Applying guidance from current applicable Federal laws and standards regarding information security to assure FCA is in compliance. Providing analysis of proposed changes to the FCA computing environment based on new standards and laws.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position to attend meetings and/or conferences.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- One-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Suitability for Federal employment, as determined by a background investigation.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
You may qualify at the VH-37 (GS-11) band level, if you fulfill one of the following qualification requirements:1) One year of specialized experience equivalent to the VH-35 (GS-09) band level in the Federal service that demonstrates your ability to meet all parts of the following:
- experience interpreting security related, best practices, policies, and guidance and applying to the enterprise environment
- formulate and articulate security recommendations and requirements as part of the change control and authorization process;
- experience running vulnerability scanning tools, interpreting scan reports, reporting and recommending mitigations; and
- experience coordinating security related projects and reporting efforts.
2) A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or possession of a LL.M. degree, if related. Graduate level education must demonstrate the competencies necessary to do the work of the position, examples of qualifying fields include computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks;
3) 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If this position has a positive education requirement as part of the Basic Qualification Requirements, you MUST submit copies of your transcript(s) that include: your name, the name of the educational institution, course titles, number of semester/quarter hours, grade(s) earned and degree(s) awarded. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. Educational institutions must be accredited by one of the accrediting agencies or associations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education . All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
Pass/Fail Courses: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
Graduate Education: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
Foreign Education : If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
- All FCA employees are subject to the conflict of interest laws and Standards of Ethical Conduct imposed upon all employees of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and may be required to file a Financial Disclosure Report.
- FCA's supplemental ethics regulations restrict certain FCA employees concerning their direct or indirect interests in, or connections with, Farm Credit System institutions. These rules also require all employees to obtain approval for outside employment or business activities. Please contact the HR Division for additional information on these rules.
- FCA uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
- This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if openings in the same series and grade occur.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume serves as the basis for the determination of your qualifications and should highlight relevant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this position. Your resume must include the following information:
- Paid and non-paid work experience including your position title, start and end dates (month/year) of employment, average number of hours worked per week and salary;
- Position series and grade for Federal positions;
- Indication of the knowledge, skills and education you have that are pertinent to this position;
- Specific duties you have performed as a regular part of your job with indications of the level of responsibility and complexity of work;
- Names and contact information for your current and/or previous supervisor(s).
You must provide the information specified above in your resume to be considered for this position. Your resume must include enough detail to permit a valid determination that you meet eligibility and specialized experience requirements for each grade for which you are applying. Take a look at this online video for ideas on how to communicate your qualifications .
Direct Hire Authority: This position will be filled through the Office of Personnel Management's Direct Hire Authority. The "Rule of Three", Category Rating and Veterans Preference will not apply to this vacancy. Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive priority consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics relevant to the duties of this position:
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT and information security
- In-depth knowledge of information security best practices including NIST guidance or vendor specific as appropriate
- Skill and ability in analyzing proposed technology changes and identify appropriate security controls, methods, and technologies necessary to protect agency PII, SPII and sensitive data at rest and in transit
- Skill in project management.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive priority consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
You must provide a complete Application Package through USAJOBS that includes your resume, responses to the Applicant Questionnaire and supporting documentation: