At QBE, our purpose is to give people the confidence to achieve their ambitions inside and outside of work. From development opportunities, to flexible work options and highly competitive reward and benefits packages, we understand the importance of living our values when it comes to our people. Everything we do at QBE is underpinned by our companys cultural elements because we know it’s not just what we do that matters, it’s how we do it that makes the difference.
This role will be responsible for delivering high quality legal services across the organization by developing strong business acumen, researching and analyzing legal issues and recommending appropriate solutions to management.
- Assist with the resolution of regulatory inquiries by researching and following established guidelines to draft legal documents, resolve regulatory problems and support lines of business
- Build strong relationships with business clients by utilizing in-depth knowledge of areas of responsibility to resolve legal inquiries and provide effective support for the resolution of compliance issues
- Advise senior managers on basic to moderate impact legal matters by utilizing legal expertise to assess risk and recommend effective and appropriate solutions
- Contribute to cross-functional decision-making by collaborating with internal partners and participating in multi-disciplinary teams to provide legal expertise and assist with the development of company policies and best practices
- Prioritize workload by evaluating urgency of issues and delegating tasks to paralegals to increase efficiency and effectiveness of legal department
- Identify potential legal risks and issues by tracking relevant judicial, legislative and regulatory developments and analyzing implications to suggest strategies for organizational response
- Manage budgeted resources by anticipating expenditures, accurately forecasting resource needs/costs and properly accounting for expenses to meet requirements and achieve fiscal responsibility
- Doctoral Degree
- 5 years relevant experience
- Admitted to the Bar
- Utilize effective research and investigative techniques
- Communicate information in a clear, well-organized, and professional manner
- Legal analysis and writing
- Effectively and efficiently present logic, reasoning, and analysis to others
- Utilize established procedures to guide decision-making
- Manage and prioritize competing responsibilities concurrently and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to think critically; exercise sound judgement
- Evaluate causal relationships
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong
- Escalate issues when necessary
- Follow established guidelines to focus on details and complete tasks attentively and thoroughly
- Maintain admission to the bar by participating in required continuing legal education
- Experience in a regulatory/compliance legal environment
- Increasing levels of responsibility
- In-house counsel
- Legal and regulatory research methodology
- Legal research databases
- Insurance regulatory and compliance knowledge
- Policies, practices, trends, and information affecting his/her business and organization
QBE Cultural DNA
Everything we do at QBE is underpinned by our DNA (which interlinks seven cultural elements) because we know it’s not just what we do that matters, it’s how we do it that makes the difference. We expect all employees to role model and inspire the right behaviors that link to our cultural elements:
- We are customer-centered
- We are technical experts
- We are diverse
- We are fast-paced
- We are courageous
- We are accountable
- We are a team
All employees are expected to adhere to QBEs Code of Ethics and Conduct and apply sound risk management practices
- Travel frequency: Infrequent (approximately 1-4 trips annually)
- Physical demands: General office jobs: Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is not substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Must have the ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Must be able to operate basic office equipment including telephone, headset and computer. Incumbent must be able to lift basic office equipment up to 20 lbs.
To successfully perform this job, the individual must be able to perform each essential job
responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
The duties listed in this job description do not limit the assignment of work. They are not to be
construed as a complete list of the duties normally to be performed in the position or those
occasionally assigned outside an employees normal duties. Our Group Code of Ethics and Conduct addresses the responsibilities we all have at QBE to our company, to each other and to our customers, suppliers, communities and governments. It provides clear guidance to help us to make good judgement calls.
Number of Openings:
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click “Apply” and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.