Weledas Corporate Counsel will act as the Legal Representative for Weleda North America. This includes overseeing the compliance and risk management activities for our growing organization. The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for all company contracts and ensuring they follow company policies and meet legal guidelines. Corporate Counsel will also work with our national leadership team to ensure that the company is in compliance with industry employment and business process laws. This includes providing advice and support around cosmetic safety and labeling requirements; marketing, advertising, and pricing topics; product recalls; anti-corruption/anti-bribery compliance; ADA accessibility issues; import/export activities; licensing requirements. This candidate has a firm grounding in drug and cosmetic law, an ability to navigate the varied and complex legal and regulatory compliance issues that might impact a North American personal care company, and a desire to learn and specialize in new legal and compliance areas as needed. This candidate will immediately understand the most critical aspects of the business and create procedures and standards to guide Weleda NA to improve the business.
This role will be working out of the Weleda North America head quarter office in Irvington, NY (20 miles North of New York City), but will begin as virtual due to COVID-19. This position qualifies for a flexible work schedule, at Supervisors discretion and 4 weeks vacation. Weleda NA prides itself as an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and heighten its success by channeling diversity in our work teams. Diversity is a key ingredient for constructing strong futures based on common goals and it is far more than just a corporate responsibility. Leveraging the power of our differences helps Weleda to better serve and deliver the ultimate experience to our increasingly diverse clientele.
- Provide guidance to the Marketing Department for compliance on a broad range of operational, legal and business issues.
- Issues could include but is not limited to reviewing labeling, advertisements, media, responding to customer inquiries, ensuring regulatory compliance including but not limited to FDA and FTC advertising and labeling requirements, and providing risk assessments.
- Provide legal advice and handle Company-wide regulatory compliance matters pertaining to USDA/FDA/FTC/CPSC and applicable state laws and regulations around cosmetics, homoeopathic medicines, and product safety, labeling, claims, and marketing/advertising; FCPA and export controls; OSHA; ADA; regulatory inspections; licensing/permits.
- Analyze and negotiate contracts for the Sales Department, addressing any legal issues concerning sales, supply chain, distribution, brokers and retailers.
- Immediately understand the most critical aspects of the business.
- Implement procedures and standards to guide the company to improve the business from a legal perspective.
- Develop and provide legal training and communications to department associates and business partners on specific compliance obligations.
- Provide legal advice to Companys on sight homeopathic pharmacy.
- Assist in department planning and oversight, such as budgeting, setting goals and reporting accomplishments.
Human Resources and Employment
- Counsel Weleda on HR and employment issues.
- Partner with the HRBP on employment issues, concerns, contracts and regulatory requirements.
- Act as the Legal Representative for Weleda NA.
- Keep up to date on all national and state legislative changes.
- Interact with federal and state regulatory agencies as needed.
- Manage litigation matters and oversee and monitor outside counsel.
Liaison to Global Corporate Counsel
- Coordinate with Global General Counsel for Weleda AG regarding ongoing compliance and reporting.
- Perform other relevant job duties as required.
Necessary Leadership Skills:
- Able to adapt to a quickly changing market environment
- Proactive problem solving and ability to drive and adapt quickly to change in Weledas high growth environment
- Collaborates & influences up, down and across the organization, both in NA and with Weleda AG
- Customer-centric, purpose driven
- Hands-on, decisive leader
- Ability to think analytically to understand complex, ambiguous issues & opportunities and articulate insights, conclusions and solutions clearly
- Ability to implement priorities that align with the Weleda business objectives and risks
Necessary Skills and Prior Experience
- B.A/B. S and J.D. required
- Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one state and ability register as in-house counsel for New York Company (NY bar a plus)
- 6+ years legal practice experience (specifically transactional and compliance experience)
- Minimum 3 years previous work experience in a legal capacity in a corporate law department working with senior counsel and senior business leaders
- Extensive understanding of FDA, Personal Care and Cosmetic Law and Advertising Law is a plus
- Participated in contract negotiations
- Understanding of conflict management
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Previous experience in a corporate law department or law firm
- Experience with any Canadian laws and regulations for food distribution companies a plus
- Ability to identify issues and provide legal and regulatory compliance advice on non-routine matters with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; ability to positively influence within and outside the Company
- Creative problem-solving skills
- A high level of energy and self-motivation
- A commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with the ability to articulate positions, provide direction, and communicate effectively at all levels of the Company
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint