SVP, Deputy General Counsel – Aetna
The Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Aetna is responsible for all legal matters related to the health care business unit, but also plays a critical enterprise role working with his/her peers from other CVS Health business lines. The role reports directly to the EVP, Chief Policy & External Affairs Officer and General Counsel of CVS Health. It also works closely with the EVP and President, Aetna Business Unit and with her senior management team to provide timely, practical and actionable legal advice enabling the Aetna health care business to remain one of the leaders in the industry.
This role requires the highest degree of integrity and ability to engage and influence at the senior-most levels of the organization. The individual should be a strong communicator with the ability to build enduring trusting relationships and possess an understanding of how to accomplish objectives both directly and through influence in other areas of the business.
The successful candidate will have strong legal acumen and a penchant for identifying opportunities for business improvements, translating between legal and non-legal audiences, simplifying complex problems, and driving value from data.
- Provides timely, strategic and practical legal advice and support to senior business leadership regarding business practices, corporate strategies, policy interpretation, compliance, contractual disputes, litigation and legal trends.
- Participates as a key member of the President, Aetnas Senior Leadership Team.
- Develops, drives and implements legal strategy that supports the achievement of the Aetna business units objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and proactively develops effective and practical legal strategies and solutions to address risk in support of an innovative, transformative, and consumer focused business.
- Develops, implements, and updates legal policies, procedures, and practices in coordination with senior leadership. Specifies internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Drafts and solidifies agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the business full legal rights.
- Oversees and directs a legal and support team who manage all legal matters pertaining to the Aetna lines of business and its business strategy and priorities.
- Actively participates in annual and multi-year strategic planning activities.
- Responsible for hiring, developing, training, and retaining high-quality, productive employees with a focus on growing future leaders.
- Responsible for special strategic projects and initiatives as delegated by the Executive Vice President, Chief Policy and External Affairs Officer and General Counsel.
- Serves as a thought leader to business and to the Corporate Affairs Department.
Personal and Leadership Characteristics
- Exceptional judgment and the ability to engender immediate trust; unquestioned integrity and credibility
- Ability to lead a large team of legal professionals in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with key constituents and be viewed as a trusted advisor to the business and someone who can see opportunities in the midst of uncertainty
- Calm influence and stewardship through crisis or adverse circumstances; open, flexible, collaborative, positive and proactive disposition and communication style
- Ability to influence constituencies in multiple areas of the business
- Ability to innovate, anticipate the future, work toward continuous improvement, work cross-functionally to achieve the right outcomes
- Create and lead with a sense of urgency and translate strategy into action
- Politically aware and agile
- Communicate for impact adjusting to fit audience; clear, candid, concise, persuasive, and use plain language in communicating
- Drive for results with energy; takes initiative; organized, resourceful and planful; skilled at marshaling multiple/matrixed resources to get things done
Key Qualifications / Prior Experience
- 15+ years of post-bar experience in a law firm and/or an in-house corporate setting
- Large team leadership
- Experience with executive management and board-level presentations and decision-making processes
- Prior in-house experience in a Fortune 50 public company preferably in a consumer facing business
- J.D., Candidate may be required to hold multi-jurisdictional bar admission
Primary Location (City, State)
Percent of Travel Required
10 – 25%
Full or Part Time