Avalara helps businesses of all sizes get tax compliance right. In partnership with leading ERP, accounting, ecommerce, and other financial management system providers, Avalara delivers cloud-based compliance solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, GST, excise, communications, lodging, and other indirect tax types. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world in Canada, the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com.
Avalara is seeking entrepreneurial attorneys to support Avalaras fast-growing, global SaaS business. Avalaras legal department is looking to add a Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment to its client-focused group with a strong emphasis on providing exceptional legal advice and advancing the companys business goals. This growing team values collaboration, creativity, ownership, and high-quality work product and is dedicated to the professional development of its members. The legal department values a labor and employment attorney who is interested in gaining a deep understanding about Avalaras SaaS business in order to enhance overall effectiveness as a legal and business advisor and expanding generalist advising skills and experience.
Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment, is responsible for assisting the General Counsel and Human Resources department in the management and handling of all labor and employment related matters in Avalara. This position will be based at Avalaras corporate headquarters in Seattle, Washington. This position will have the following key responsibilities:
- advise and assist with company-wide policies relating to employment agreements and other employment-related arrangements as well as any labor-related matters,
- assess, monitor, advise and assist in the development and maintenance of policies relating to compliance with unemployment law, the Fair Labor Standards Act/wage and hour law, the Family Medical Leave Act, and local leave laws,
- monitor and advise on Avalaras employment practices, including those related to preventing workplace discrimination and harassment,
- help manage Avalaras employment-related litigation, arbitrations, grievances, and disputes, including oversight of outside counsel,
- investigate employee and employment law regulatory matters, including conducting interviews, composing investigatory reports, and advising on remedial actions based on findings,
- oversee and work with the General Counsel, the Human Resources team, and outside counsel in the development of policies and practices for managing employee-related requirements in international jurisdictions where Avalara operates,
- assist in the review and assessment of employment contracts, HR policies and practices, employee benefit administration and compliance and labor and employment law compliance as part of Avalaras due diligence of potential acquisition targets, and
- assist in the development of an integration plan for employees of acquisition targets.
In performing the job responsibilities, the successful candidate will competently:
- identify and assess legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and advise accordingly,
- participate in and influence the decision-making process, with due consideration of legal issues and Avalaras business needs, with appropriate clients and stakeholders,
- independently handle legal matters and projects ranging from basic to complex,
- analyze risks in uncertain environment, make judgment calls and follow through to execution with limited supervision, while recognizing when to elevate certain matters to the attention of the General Counsel, and
- supervise, manage and evaluate outside counsel on employment-related matters, including litigation.
Avalara attorneys routinely provide direction and work through others and must have the following attributes:
- Enthusiastic, intellectually curious, and hard working.
- Strong team player who enjoys working with and supporting other members of the Legal department and employees across the company.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and influence skills.
- Flexibility to work in multiple legal disciplines and adaptable to changing business needs.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once.
- Urgency to follow through and meet deadlines.
- Desire to facilitate the success of others.
- Candidates have at least 8 years of substantive labor and employment experience with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm.
- Prefer candidates with experience in counseling businesses on labor and employment matters.
- Candidates with an interest in obtaining a deep understanding of Avalaras SaaS business model and gaining legal experience in other areas of law is a strong plus.
- Admission to the Washington bar, or ability to obtain admission by motion.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.