Senior Counsel, Ethics & Compliance
Applied is looking for an experienced attorney and compliance professional to lead investigations while contributing to the execution of Applied Materials next stage ethics and compliance program. This position will be responsible for executing global initiatives focused on ethics and integrity, anti-bribery and corruption, FCPA, policy and regulatory compliance, and third-party due diligence, as well as managing training and awareness campaigns. In addition, this role will be responsible for conducting investigations and responding to inquiries around the globe. You will also play a key role in identifying emerging risks, reporting on investigation trends, and collaborating with the team to develop global policy and process recommendations to deter and prevent future violations. This will include building and maintaining cross-functional partnerships to ensure Applied Materials maintains industry-leading practices, working closely with the information security, internal audit, trade, security, and human resources teams.
- Conduct and oversee global investigations, including assessing the nature and potential severity of the issues, interviewing witnesses, collecting and reviewing documents, reaching findings, and then drafting investigative reports and reporting on outcomes.
- Manage and respond to all issues raised through the Ethics Helplines.
- Creatively build upon and drive awareness around compliance issues, including developing and delivering training on a broad range of risk topics, including competition law, anti-corruption, fraud, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, use of company assets, and insider trading.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to counsel the business on compliance risk. Counsel business leaders and commercial legal teams on compliance implications for new products and services, and advise on potential business impact of proposed changes to U.S. and international laws and regulations.
- Assess and respond to potential compliance, company policy, security, and privacy risks and regulatory requirements. Serve as point of contact and advisor for executives regarding ethics and compliance matters.
- Draft, update, and communicate policies and best practices to the business and stakeholders.
- Assist in performing routine risk assessments and monitoring of ongoing compliance in coordination with other compliance and operational assessment functions.
- Assist in managing anti-compliance and anti-corruption program, including partnering with the business, trade, and supply chain to ensure timely and effective third-party due diligence and compliance with global regulations.
- Support company engagement with government, industry, and peer groups on compliance issues.
J.D. from an accredited law school and 8+ years relevant experience, with both in-house and top-tier law firm experience, with substantial focus on compliance and investigations.
- Experience in conducting and overseeing internal investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver practical guidance clearly and concisely as well as a consistent track record of being proactive, while managing multiple and complex projects, and prioritizing matters with minimal supervision.
- Thought leadership on ethics and compliance and capacity for complex problem-solving.
- Demonstrable experience influencing enterprise-wide change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, impeccable integrity, good judgment, strong analytical skills, flexible, pragmatic, and a keen sense of humor.
- Collaborative by nature and able to build strong partnerships.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and ability to manage and prioritize a diverse and complex workload. Ability to influence beyond authority in a complex and matrixed organization.
- Demonstrable ability to drive global, enterprise-wide policies and practices;
- Demonstrated ability to support and collaborate with cross-functional executives (C-Suite, CISO, etc.)
Years of Experience:
4 – 7 Years
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.