At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change we seize it and commit real resources to make it happen, because an opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicine is about being entrepreneurial – finding those moments and recognizing their potential. How do you spot the potential for something world-changing? With bold, empowered people and leaders who champion curiosity and the fearlessness to pursue ideas in new ways.
Taking on a role that bridges science and legal practice, youll be a global business IP advisor. This will entail managing the patent portfolio for assigned projects and products, and keeping up to date with emerging legal and pharma developments to help set and implement the global IP strategy in your area in collaboration with the Senior Patent Director.
Key objectives will be to identify and manage all associated IP risks communicating them to IP, legal and business teams. Youll craft strategies for the filing, prosecution, maintenance and defense of patents in your portfolio against third-party challenges. You may also work on business development deals or coordinate our response to legal changes in a particular country or region. Managing external spend to meet budget targets will also be part of your role.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Independently manage all aspects of build, maintenance and defense of specific patent portfolios
- Actively counsel members of Research & Development organizations to identify new inventions as well as devise and implement strategies for patent protection over extended drug development life cycle
- Create and implement global strategic approaches toward building patent portfolios and providing value to business
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications (US and ex-US) including effectively managing outside counsel as needed
- Manage all aspects of large intellectual property estates in AstraZeneca`s core and opportunistic therapeutic areas
- Evaluate and monitor patent portfolios of third parties
- Develop and communicate IP guidance to stakeholders across the business, including within R&D, Business Development, commercial, legal
- Review and analyze license agreements and other contracts
- Provide IP and technical analysis in support of patent litigations
- US Licensed Patent Attorney or fully qualified UK or European Patent Attorney
- Ph.D. or equivalent, and/or several years of laboratory experience in relevant scientific area, chemistry preferred
- Strong core patent prosecution skills and ability to independently manage patent dockets and portfolios
- At least three years relevant experience in life science patent prosecution with global portfolios
- Combined in-house and law firm experience preferred
- Experience in the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of managing external service providers
- First-hand experience of IP-related litigation
- High level of professionalism and motivation, ability to work independently
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and manage risks
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects with rapidly changing priorities
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Adaptable and versatile learner
- Ability to be an enterprise leader for the organization
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.