The Associate CIO for Application and Digital Solutions advises the CIO on application development, digital solution strategies, and visionary technologies to optimize business processes and achieve Department of Transportation's (DOT) strategic goals.
Learn more about this agency
This senior executive provides expert management, guidance, and insight regarding an array of technology initiatives and develops recommendations and strategies to facilitate their implementation in a strategic and innovative manner. The Associate CIO for Application and Digital Solutions also serves as an expert on DOT's application development and digital solution initiatives, providing guidance to OCIO leadership on system modernization in a manner consistent with DOT's mission and program objectives.
The Associate CIO for Application and Digital Solutions serves as the principal advisor to OCIO leadership in introducing new technologies and digital transformation strategies for applications throughout DOT and the national transportation infrastructure; stimulates the use of innovative solutions by providing guidance during program planning, resource acquisition, and allocation processes; participates in the program application planning process as a thought leader and change agent; and develops supporting plans that align with DOT's strategic goals.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel is required.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
- FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must clearly articulate and describe within your five (5) page resume evidence of progressively responsible supervisory, managerial, or professional experience which involved management of a program or organization of significant scope and complexity. Your resume must provide information regarding your professional experience and accomplishments that demonstrate your ability to perform the duties of this position and meet the mandatory Technical Qualification(s) and Managerial Executive Core Qualifications listed below.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below are the descriptions of the mandatory technical qualifications for this position. Your five (5) page resume must provide information regarding your professional experience and accomplishments that demonstrate you meet these technical qualifications.
1. Executive level experience and demonstrated knowledge in technology and/or application development; demonstrated leadership prowess and team building ability; demonstrated success in advocating for and teaching new applications.
2. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of significant aspects of technologies, business models, and regulations relevant to the transportation industry; expertise in application development processes, including appropriate cybersecurity considerations; demonstrated success in building secure, innovative, user-friendly applications.
3. In-depth knowledge of pertinent federal laws, regulations, policies, and guidance affecting application development and technical knowledge sufficient to understand laws, regulations, policies, and guidance fully.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): Below are descriptions of the mandatory ECQs that are required for all SES positions. Your five (5) page resume must provide information regarding your professional experience and accomplishments that demonstrate you meet the 5 ECQs.
ECQ 1 – LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 – LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 – RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 – BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 – BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation.
Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website .
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on writing effective ECQ narrative statements and executive resumes.
Retirement/Pension Plan – You will be covered by a defined benefit, contributory Federal retirement system that provides benefits for both normal retirement (with as few as 5 years of civilian service) and for circumstances that might occur earlier, such involuntary retirement because of disability.
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) – You may participate in a retirement savings investment plan that offers before-tax savings and tax-deferred investment earnings. For more details, please visit the TSP website
Employee Assistance – Employees and their immediate families can take advantage of free confidential counseling with health professionals as part of the Federal Employees Assistance Program.
Transit Benefits – We subsidize up to $255 of mass transit commuting costs each month.
Telework – Determined by agency policy.
Information related to performance, suitability, and security will be verified. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be subject to fine imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
An SES reviewing panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check and and may also be asked to submit a written 10-page narrative statement addressing each of the ECQ areas. If you are contacted for a second-round interview, you may be asked to submit a written narrative statement addressing each of the ECQ areas (Leading Change, Leading People, Results Driven, Business Acumen, Building Coalitions). If selected, your written narrative statement addressing the ECQs must be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current SES executive or have successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. You must receive certification before you can be appointed to the position.
All applications must be completed and submitted electronically no later than midnight ET of the closing date. Final reviews will be performed after the announcement closing, and timely notice of the status of your application will be emailed to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and selecting Application Status.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents must be provided by the closing date:
- RESUME – You must submit a resume which cannot exceed five (5) pages. Any information submitted in excess of five (5) pages WILL NOT be considered. The resume must provide evidence (such as related professional experience and accomplishments) that demonstrate you possess the technical qualifications and the 5 ECQs. Include name on each page. No photos allowed.
- COVER LETTER – You should submit a one-page cover letter highlighting key experience and interest in the position advertised.
- SF-50 – Current & former federal employees should submit an SF-50 which shows your current (or most recent grade). DO NOT submit an award SF-50 as these often do not verify grade or eligibility. For consideration for a promotion, Box 4 of the SF-50 must show a date that is at least 52 weeks prior to the job announcement closing. We recommend submitting your last promotion SF-50, current SF-50 or within-grade increase SF-50.
- Current Career Senior Executives and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility must submit a copy of an SF-50 which shows career SES status
- CANDIDATE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM CERTIFICATE – individuals who have successfully completed an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program, submit a copy of your OPM certificate.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the announcement will result in your removal from consideration for this position.