Scopely is a leading mobile games company home to many top-grossing, award-winning franchises including Scrabble GO, MARVEL Strike Force, Star Trek Fleet Command, Looney Tunes World of Mayhem, WWE Champions, The Walking Dead: Road To Survival, YAHTZEE With Buddies and Wheel of Fortune: Free Play, among others. Scopely creates rewarding, immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer experience. Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform that personalizes gameplay at scale across one of the most diversified portfolios in the west. Recognized in Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies and #2 on Deloittes Technology Fast 500 as one of the fastest-growing companies in North America, Scopely has achieved more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue by creating game experiences that are an important part of peoples lives. Scopely has global operations in Los Angeles, Barcelona, Boulder, Dublin (DIGIT game studio), London and Tokyo, with additional studios in seven countries across four continents. For more information, visit scopely.com.
Scopely is looking for an experienced, business-minded Associate General Counsel to join our growing in-house legal team. You will report to the General Counsel and will interact with and support various groups across our fast-paced, mobile games business. You should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams and have the ability to manage a wide range of projects across all levels of the business.
What you will do:
- Counsel global Product, Engineering, IT/Security, Analytics, Business Development, Marketing, Customer Support, Community, People, PR/Communications, Advertising/Monetization, User Acquisition, and other teams on legal and regulatory issues related to game development and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws related to privacy and data protection, IP, marketing, and consumer protection
- Manage company-wide privacy and data protection compliance processes in partnership with other cross-functional teams, including conducting global data mapping reviews, updating internal- and external-facing notices and policies, and managing and advising on internal compliance procedures
- Implement and manage ongoing product and marketing compliance processes across the Scopely platform and game portfolio, including in relation to contests and sweepstakes, gacha mechanics, and other consumer protection considerations
- Work with global product teams to review products, features, in-game events, marketing, promotions, platform technology, and other initiatives, and provide practical advice to manage legal and regulatory risk
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial and business affairs deals, including software and IP licenses, distribution agreements, advertising, and promotional agreements, development agreements, publishing agreements, entertainment agreements, and other commercial agreements.
What you will need:
- Minimum 8+ years of combined relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department, preferably in gaming, media, or other technology
- Significant experience advising on legal and regulatory considerations in the technology space, ideally with a focus on privacy and data protection frameworks (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, COPPA, Privacy Shield, etc.), marketing, and consumer protection
- Strong academic credentials
- Experience working with global teams cross-functionally and across time zones
- Attention to detail, problem-solving mentality, and ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and re-prioritize based on changing needs
- Sense of humor and a passion for mobile gaming
People management experience a plus
Scopely is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, family or parental status, gender identity, veteran, or disability status, or other protected status.