The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is the Silver Spring, MD Local Commuting Area (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
For a position description of major duties and responsibilities of the Cook (CYS), NA-7404-06 click here .
Eligible applications received before/on the cut-off date of 08/24/2020 will be referred to the selecting official(s) for consideration.
Learn more about this agency
- Performs a variety of food preparation and cooking tasks such as cleaning, paring, peeling, slicing, dicing; grilling, frying, baking broiling, pouring liquids and mixing ingredients.
- Adjusts recipes for larger or smaller quantities, and slices meat by hand and by mechanical means, to specific requirements. Prepares eggs in a variety of ways, French toast, and pancakes.
- Follows health and safety precautions to ensure safe preparation and storage of food items, and monitors and maintains appropriate temperature of all food items throughout preparation and service.
- Operates kitchen equipment designed to mix and cook food items. Uses, cleans and maintains power kitchen equipment, and keeps cooking utensils cleaned and ready for use. Scrubs and cleans heavier pot and pans. Stacks and stores dishes.
- Works with Food and Nutrition Specialists to prepare menus and submit food orders and purchase requests. Coordinates the loading/unloading of foods/supplies, and keeps all records on food used, portions prepared, meals served, and inventory.
Conditions of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required.
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-Verify) check.
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty.
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 4 hours initial food sanitation and safety training is required within 30 days of employment and a minimum of 4 hours refresher training annually.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of all pre-employment checks in accordance with AR 215-3, para.2 and a Child Care Tier 1 background investigation is required.
- Must have current health assessment which documents good mental and physical health, freedom from communicable disease, and immunizations IAW current Army and DoD policy including annual influenza vaccinations.
- Working Conditions: Work is performed in kitchen areas, which are well lighted but are often hot and noisy.
- Working Conditions: Must stand on tile floor, subject to burns, cuts, bruises, and slipping on wet floors.
- Physical Efforts: Work involves continual standing and walking, frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. Must be able to lift or move objects up to 40 pounds unassisted.
- Physical Efforts: Occasionally lift or move objects weighing over 40 pounds with the assistance of other workers or lifting devices.
- Working Conditions: Employee is exposed to steam, fumes, odors from cooking, and to extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigerators or freezing units.
1) A minimum of 6 months of work experience directly related to the duties described above, that included skill in working with professional kitchen appliances and equipment.
2) Be able to communicate (verbal and written) in English.
3) Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. on a routine basis.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Basic knowledge of food preparation principles and practical understanding of the physical processes that occur in cooking. Knowledge of proper cooking temperatures and preparation methods for a variety of foods. Ability to schedule and coordinate preparation of a number of different foods in order to ensure that they are ready for service at the appropriate mealtime. Knowledge of food borne illnesses, food safety, and proper storage methods for hot and cold food items in order to prevent loss or illness due to spoilage. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, particularly standard recipes, and detailed cooking instructions. Skill in operating and cleaning a wide variety of food service equipment, including special equipment for the preparation of large volume items. Skill in carving, preparing garnishes, and assembling attractive platters, salads, and other food presentations.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 3:00 PM EST on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Allowances, differentials, or incentives will not be paid.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (To view the kit, click: https: publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/Applicants/NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit.pdf
(If URL does not work, please copy and paste into browser).
- Applications are valid for 90 days after submission date. Applicants will be referred to selecting officials as additional vacancies occur.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference – Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference – Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration – Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Parent of a Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Spouse/Widow(er) of a Veteran (OAV)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) will be accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- DA Form 3433
- DA Form 3434 or equivalent Agency Notification of Personnel Action
- Professional References
- PCS Orders
- Proof of Marriage Status
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action