This position is located with the Office of Federal Acknowledgement in Washington, District of Columbia.
The Office reviews petitions submitted by groups seeking Federal acknowledgment recognition and recommends to the Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs (AS-IA) whether petitioners should be granted status as federally recognized Indian Tribes. As part of an interdisciplinary group, you will provide expert advice based on historical considerations and firm ethno-historical evidence.
Learn more about this agency
- Evaluates petitions of groups seeking Federal acknowledgment as Indian tribes eligible for services, based on historical considerations.
- Provides professional and technical advice to petitioning groups in regards to historical documentation and research.
- Maintains historical records of the Office's history to support cases in litigation that may become part of the National Archives.
- Develops policies, standards and similar documents as they relate to historical evaluation of Federal acknowledgment petitions.
- Primary staff member with responsibility for coordinating anthropological, historical, and genealogical research, writings, legal review, and appeals.
- Prepares special studies, briefing papers, articles, legislative reports, special bills and other legislative proposals affecting the Office's research and petitions.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
- You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Incumbent is required to operate a government motor vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license, and have a safe driving record within the 4 year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607.
- Indian Preference applies
Please read this entire section. This job has a Basic Requirement and required Specialized Experience. You must meet both to qualify.
1) Individual Occupational Requirement
Degree in History (successful completion of a full 4-year course of study or higher degree in an accredited college or university), or a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history. (Transcript needed with application. Unofficial or student copy accepted)
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in history, or a major in a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. (Transcript needed with application. Unofficial or student copy accepted)
The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in the appropriate field. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree would have included courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. These courses would have provided an applicant with skills and abilities sufficient to perform progressively more responsible work in the occupation. Therefore, creditable experience should have demonstrated similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the work of the occupation.
Evaluation of Graduate Education
Graduate study in the social sciences or humanities may also be credited when such study included training in historical research methodology; or the thesis approached the subject from an historical viewpoint and used professional historical research methodology and techniques in its preparation.
A diploma will not meet the transcript requirement.
2) Specialized experience for the GS-13 as stated below is required IN ADDITION to the Basic Requirement above:
Please make sure you are specific and detailed in regards to your experience on the resume.
Specialized experience for the GS-13 :
One year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level performing the following duties: 1) conducting professional historical research of American Indian/non-Indian relationships; 2) preparing professional historical studies, and/or papers based on historical research methodologies
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https: www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility.
For more information visit: http: www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are suitable for telework, and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. The majority of individuals, who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process if you are an applicant with a disability, or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume will be evaluated after the closing date to determine whether you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position described above. Qualified candidates will then be further evaluated to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education in relation to the competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position as demonstrated by your responses to the assessment questions. Competencies measured include:
- History and Archaeology
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If your responses to the assessment questions cannot be supported by your resume, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your experience. Qualified applicants will be evaluated, rated and referred to the selecting official under category rating procedures, and placed in one of the following categories:
BEST QUALIFIED: Applicants possess all of the job related competencies identified above.
WELL QUALIFIED: Applicants possess a majority of the job related competencies.
QUALIFIED: Applicants meet the basic eligibility and minimum qualification requirements but do not meet the definition of Best Qualified or Well Qualified.
You may preview the assessment questions here in the https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10878536 . Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur within 90 days from the closing date.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for this position:
- For 5-point veterans' preference, please provide your DD-214, Copy 4 that MUST show an Honorable Discharge (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., copy of military orders, campaign documents as or expeditionary award citation, etc.) proving your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
- For 10-point veterans' preference, you must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference and the supporting documentation required by that form.
- If you are a disabled veteran you must submit a Veterans Affairs (VA) letter on VA letterhead that states your overall combined rating and a DD214 (copy 4) reflecting an honorable discharge.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59PM Eastern Time ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package before you submit it. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM OR ACCEPTED BY THIS OFFICE.