About the team
The Zillow Group Legal and Compliance department is a service-oriented team of skilled legal and compliance professionals and fun people who enjoy working in a collegial environment within an innovative, fast-paced tech, real estate, and media company.
About the role
Join our Legal team at Zillow Group! We are seeking an attorney in the mortgages group to work in close partnership with senior attorneys. You will be responsible for supporting nonbank residential mortgage lending. You are an astute problem solver, an adept researcher, and can effectively manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Legal research in areas of consumer financial regulation, including TILA, RESPA, ECOA, HMDA, SAFE Act, FCRA and other federal regulations, as well as corresponding state and local laws
- Management of longer projects requiring input from multiple legal stakeholders and business unit partners
- Providing research and guidance on state licensing laws for nonbank financial institutions, including requirements for qualified individuals and branch locations
- Working with compliance personnel to maintain licenses in all jurisdictions and interacting with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry in order to monitor and address alerts and deficient statuses
- Cultivating a working knowledge of existing company programs, offerings, policies, and procedures
- Maintaining a level of expertise by staying abreast of regulatory change and industry developments
- Providing preliminary legal review and research related to the development of mortgage lending products and technology solutions
- On an ad hoc basis, reviewing and/or drafting correspondence to consumers and investors
- Initial contract review, including review and issue-spotting in investor agreements and hedging agreements
Who you are
- Juris Doctor and admission to practice law in at least one jurisdiction
- 3+ years experience in the practice of law
- 2+ years relevant industry experience, whether as an attorney or in a non-attorney role, in mortgages or related settlement services
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills; an ability to communicate concepts clearly and persuasively
- Working knowledge of mortgage operations, settlement services, and associated regulatory risks and related controls
- Working knowledge of consumer financial laws and regulations
- Prior interaction with state licensing laws for nonbank mortgage lenders
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced, fast-growing, and collaborative environment
Get to know us
Zillow Group houses the largest portfolio of real estate brands on mobile and the web. We are on a mission to rewire the real estate transaction and are building transformational tools and services that make it easier for everyone to find and get into a home they love. We are working to create an on-demand real estate transaction experience for every stage of the home lifecycle — for buyers, sellers, renters and borrowers – and we’re well on our way. No matter what job you’re in, you will play a critical role in making this vision a reality for millions of people.
At Zillow Group, we’re powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don’t just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For (#69), Fortune Best Workplaces for Diversity (#38), Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents (#31), Fortune Best Workplaces for Women (#20), Fatherly’s Best Workplaces for New Dads (#37), JUST Capital 100 Company (#69), Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.