These positions are located in the Health Resources and Services Administration, Office of Federal Assistance Management, Division of Financial Integrity. The duty location for these positions is in Rockville, MD.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.**
Learn more about this agency
This position is a mission critical occupation and is responsible for ensuring that operational and fiscal activities align with and enable accomplishment of Health Resources and Services Administration's mission, goals and objectives.
As an Auditor, you plan, prepare, and execute organizational audits of HHS programs or administrative functional areas.
Your major duties and responsibilities include:
- Performing financial and/or operational internal review audits and audit compliance reviews, which include independent completion of routine to complex audits/reviews for financial and operational areas to assist the organization in meeting its responsibilities.
- Analyzing data and information, interpreting results, and completing reports for audits/reviews, providing thorough explanations and rationale when a clear linkage does not exist between findings and program requirements or controls.
- Preparing appropriate audit reports, which summarize results and contain recommendations to correct deficiencies by the audit/compliance reviews.
- Initiating actions when appropriate to change policies and procedures as a result of audits or reviews and provide staff consulting services as required.
- Maintaining liaison with external audit agencies conducting audits/reviews of assigned activities to minimize audit review length, ensure accuracy of information obtained, review and analyze findings and reports, determine the involvement, and prepare replies identifying corrective actions taken within time limits.
NOTE: Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel up to 25% for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- All qualifications and time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 to show status and time-in-grade.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- This position has an education requirement – transcripts are required.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
THESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 08/26/2020
Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
Verification of education requirements: You must provide unofficial transcripts documenting how you meet the education requirements stated. A copy of a diploma is not acceptable for verification of this education requirement. Failure to provide the unofficial transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination (You must provide documentation that verifies your certification); or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal non conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, an applicant's one full year of specialized experience must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for successful job performance.
GS-9: In order to qualify for this position at the GS-9 level, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-7 level in the federal service.
Examples of qualifying specialized GS-7 level experience includes performing the following types of tasks on a regular and recurring basis: collecting and organizing financial data for use in an audit; performing analytical assignments to assist in the identification and resolution of budget and financial issues; and, preparing data summaries for inclusion in reports on financial audit results
Have a Master's or equivalent graduate degree or at least 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or an LL.B. or J.D. To be qualifying, the higher level graduate education must be in a major field of study in business administration, accounting, management, or finance or other field of study with course work directly related to the work of this position.
Have an equivalent combination of the above specialized experience AND higher level graduate education that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
GS-11: In order to qualify for this position at the GS-11 level, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-9 level in the federal service.
Examples of qualifying specialized GS-9 level experience includes performing the following types of tasks on a regular and recurring basis: performing segments of audits of a regular and recurring nature; implementing established auditing plans; and, applying auditing directives, policies, and regulations.
Have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree related to the position being filled.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE- If you are meeting the grade level qualifications requirements based on education in whole or in part, you must submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts as part of your application package by the closing date of the announcement. If selected, official transcripts will be required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
AUDITING – Knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards and procedures for conducting financial and compliance, economy and efficiency, and program audits.
TECHNICAL WRITING – Prepares written documentation to transfer technical information about concepts, situations, products, services, or results to audiences with varying levels of technical knowledge.
RESEARCH AND EVALUATION – Knowledge of the principles, methods, and processes used to conduct a systematic and objective inquiry; including study design, collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; and the reporting of results.
COMPLIANCE – Knowledge of procedures for assessing, evaluating, and monitoring programs or projects for compliance with Federal laws, regulations, and guidance.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10887004
Current status candidates must meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) by the closing date of this announcement. To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, provide any of the following SF-50s:
Please Note: Current year pay adjustments are not acceptable for verifying TIG (ex. 2020 general increases cannot be used to verify TIG).
- Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does not include 120 day temporary promotions)
- Regular Within Range Increase (WRI) or With In Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs).
- Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade.
- SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of 08/26/2020.
Not sure which SF-50 to submit? Check out our video… Go here to watch the video on the SF50s to submit in your application package .
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov .
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on " Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities ".
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. Click here for more information on veterans' preference .
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Click here
HRSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) , you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at (301) 443-3780 or by email: askhrhrsa.gov or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-2538 or by email: RA-Requesthrsa.gov . You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays).
Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
1. A current Resume – For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career. To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builde r.
If you choose to use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose, then you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
You must also ensure that the duties performed are clearly matched to each period of employment.
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- Veterans' Preference Documentation, if applicable, a DD-214 Member 4 copy, which shows type of discharge. If still active, provide an official Statement of Service. Any other documentation such as VA letter documenting disability, SF-15, and any other required supporting documentation based your veterans' preference claim.
- SF-50: Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that shows status and time-in-grade, and its full performance level. If you are an HHS employee you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from eOPF. If you have separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via: National Personnel Records Center, Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL, 62295; FAX (618) 935-3014 ; Email CPR ; or visit the National Archives Website .
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- Peace Corps volunteers must submit a copy of your "Description of Service (DOS)" in lieu of the SF-50. If you do not have one you should email the Peace Corps Office of Volunteer and PSC Financial Services at certifypeacecorps.gov .
- If you are currently serving in a pay banded position, please include a copy of your pay band chart with your application.
- College transcripts (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
For Résumé and Application Tips visit the USAJOBS Resource Center .
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 08/26/2020.