Assistant Corporate Secretary & Compliance Officer
Talent Gateway Posting Details
Will lead a team responsible for ensuring all initiatives are consistent with the company strategy that the appropriate governance is followed with regard to approvals.
Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
- A dynamic, customer-focused team environment
- A solid, comprehensive salary and benefit package
- Career advancement opportunities
- A culture that embraces our core values of safety, integrity, respect, service, and responsibility
Alliant Energy is currently seeking an Assistant Corporate Secretary & Compliance Officer to work out of headquarters on Madison, WI. The individual selected for this role will lead a team responsible for ensuring all initiatives are consistent with the company strategy that the appropriate governance is followed with regard to approvals.
Additionally, this position will serve as a experienced attorney, responsible for complex company transactions (acquisitions, divestitures, ect.) and will have oversight over all compliance related activities for the organization, including legal compliance documents.
Finally, this position will be responsible for financing arrangements entered into by the company from a legal and governance perspective.
Successful candidates in this role will:
- Possess a high level of organization and ability to prioritize issues while maintaining focus on the overall company strategy.
- Be a strong communicator with a the ability to tailor their message to their audience.
- Effectively manage relationships with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Performs the duties of the Assistant Corporate Secretary for the corporation and subsidiaries, as set forth in bylaws, and state and federal law, and fulfills all Assistant Corporate Secretary duties.
- Prepares and maintains corporate resolutions, presents to the Board of Directors on various legal and governance issues, and ensures all details regarding board meetings, annual meetings, and other communications to the board are legally sufficient and consistent with prevalent practices.
- Responsible for shareholder services activities concerning stock transactions by designated insiders of the company and compliance with SEC Section 16 reporting and filing requirements, proxy preparation and the Annual Shareholders Meeting.
- Responsible for all Board of Directors, corporate and subsidiary governance documentation and corporate records, including Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, minutes, corporation, subsidiary and affiliate stock records, corporate seals, and other documents and records as required.
- Reviews and signs all necessary corporate documents required to be executed by Assistant Corporate Secretary, including annual reports, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) forms, and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) document and filings.
- Provides effective support regarding compliance issues, communications, compensation and benefits to the Board of Directors including Committee Chairpersons and the Lead Independent Director. Ensures legal requirements and best practices have been considered for governance documents and processes, and that governance documents and oversight responsibilities are in place.
- Responsible for the corporate compliance activities of the organization including annual Code of Conduct training, review and updating of corporate level policies and procedures, management of the third-party hotline and conflict of interest inquiries.
- Communicates, coordinates, and monitors implementation of best practices and compliance for corporate governance principles and requirements under the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, the Dodd-Frank Act, the New York Stock Exchange Listing Standards, and other controlling authorities. Provides counsel to the Board of Directors, executive officers, and others on corporate governance principles, regulations, and statutes.
- Oversees the legal activities performed on behalf of financial activities, including financial transactions, required SEC filings (e.g. 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K). Primarily responsible for legal and regulatory compliance as to these financial activities and best practices for the Companys and its subsidiaries Annual Reports and Proxy Statements.
- Provides legal advice and support services on legal matters of moderate to high risk and complexity. Legal work is substantially varied and regularly difficult due to absence of clear applicable legal precedents or differing possible interpretations. Drafts complex legal documents and reviews a wide range of legal documents prepared by other attorneys. Assignments are carried out with independence. Decisions having an important bearing on the organization are reviewed. Serves as primary point of contact for internal clients related to legal, governance and compliance issues.
- Provides oversight and/or guidance on projects coordinated by less experienced attorneys. Responsible for the risk assessment of the project
- Performs all management duties including, but not limited to, budgeting, hiring, performance reviews, coordinating and scheduling work, salary recommendations, discipline, ensure employees report to work fit for duty, leadership, grievance resolution, coaching & counseling, models Alliant Energys Core Values at all times.
Required/Preferred Education & Experience
- This position requires a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school, college or university.
- Extensive experience with complex legal matters, corporate governance, corporate financing, and shareholder services.
- Experience working with or for a publicly traded company
- Previous leadership experience is desired
- Licensed Attorney
- Ability to solve problems of diverse scope and high complexity requiring in-depth analysis to determine appropriate solution.
- Ability to think and act strategically, ensuring alignment with business transactions and disclosures.
- Proven ability to plan and carry out responsibility with minimum direction.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse and inclusive work environment
*Note: All Candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran.
To apply for this challenging opportunity, please complete our online application at www.alliantenergy.com/careers