Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
This position represents an opportunity to work for a relatively young company with long-standing experience in the financial services industry. The responsibilities of this position include: leading the vendor contracting function for the Law Department, including managing outside counsel and internal resources supporting the function; negotiating, coordinating, and drafting various complex vendor agreements, including technology and other vendor agreements; providing strategic legal advice and support to various senior company leaders, including the Chief Technology Officer, regarding vendor contracting, technology, and privacy-related issues; and exercising influence and leadership with business partners and colleagues to help protect the companys interests.
- Lead the technology, vendor contracting, privacy, and intellectual property legal support functions for the company leveraging internal and outside resources to minimize legal risk and effectively manage costs.
- Negotiate, coordinate, and draft vendor agreements including provisions relating to technology, privacy, data security, e-commerce, and telecommunications.
- Provide strategic legal advice and support to vendor sourcing, including providing advice regarding template contracts, third-party risk management, etc.
- Provide legal advice on privacy and intellectual property issues.
- Demonstrate skills as a strong practitioner and negotiator, a creative problem-solver, self-starter, and hard worker, with a desire to grow with the position.
- Demonstrate strong client service and collaboration skills.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail and organizational skills, with significant experience in advising clients.
- Identify and analyze legal issues in a fast-paced and rapidly changing business environment.
- Work with attorneys and compliance professionals in other practice areas in a collegial and collaborative fashion.
- Perform other duties, as required.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 7-10 years relevant experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department, reflecting a record of accomplishment. Insurance and/or other financial services industry experience a plus.
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Bar admission required.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Extensive understanding of technology, privacy, data security, and intellectual property law.
- Vendor contracting background, including in areas such as cloud computing, software licensing, open source, business process outsourcing, telecommunications, market data, sponsorships, advertising, and marketing.
- Good business acumen and familiarity with the market and regulatory landscape affecting vendor contracting.
- Influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and analytical skills.
- Crisp, clear client communication skills; in particular, the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice.
- Ability to handle complex transactions from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Ability to balance competing demands, multiple deadline-sensitive matters, assessing business priorities.
- Follow through to ensure advice is acted upon, and that ethical, legal, and business issues are raised to appropriate levels.
- Ability to build collaborative partnerships and alliances, internally and externally.
- Willingness to take on challenging assignments and become familiar with new areas of the law.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring from management and/or more experienced team members.
- Willingness to build knowledge of the companys structure, operations, products and services, strategic business values, objectives, policies, culture, and regulatory requirements.
- Willingness and ability to improve operations, implement effective policies and procedures.
- Time Off: Minimum of 20 days of paid time off and 13 paid company holidays per full calendar year, plus paid volunteer time
- Financial Benefits: 401(k) savings plan with up to a 6% annual match and 3% annual company nondiscretionary contribution of eligible compensation, annual incentive plan, and employee stock purchase plan
- Family Focus: Up to 16 weeks of paid leave for new parents, back-up care program, dependent care flexible spending account, and adoption and surrogacy assistance
- Health and Welfare: Competitive medical, vision and dental plans, plus tax-free health savings accounts with potential company contributions up to $1,000 per family
- Wellness Programs: Wellness incentive platform, employee assistance program, financial counseling services, fitness center discounts and more
- Life & Disability Benefits: Company-paid basic life insurance and short-term disability