Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Senior Attorney Regulatory Risk for our San Antonio, TX facility.
**This position is working in our San Antonio, Texas home office location or working remotely**
In this position your will be responsible for providing legal counsel to business unit leadership within USAA by identifying and analyzing legal issues and communicating effective legal advice. Proactively engages with business clients to better understand USAAs strategic and operational objectives. Engages and collaborates with internal stakeholders within business units and the Chief Legal Office. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization, has in-depth expert knowledge and the proven ability to lead efforts to resolve complex issues.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we’ve been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For, and we’ve ranked among Victory Media’s Top 10 Military Friendly Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals
See USAAs San Antonio, Texas home office campus, culture, and mission here:
- Independently provides legal counsel to senior leadership to support business objectives and manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA.
- Leads complex legal assignments with a high level of business impact and delivers appropriate solutions.
- Proactively identifies and manages existing and emerging legal and other risks that stem from business activities, in alignment with USAAs legal risk appetite. Ensures risks are effectively measured, monitored and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and varying levels of leadership in both verbal and written forms.
- Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly complex issues.
- Proactively collaborates across USAA and the Chief Legal Office to mitigate risk.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes changes in laws, regulations and industry and advises appropriate organizational leadership of such changes in a timely manner.
- Anticipates potential or future legal and operational issues that present a risk to the organization and proactively engages with others to identify potential solutions.
- Regularly provides guidance to more junior attorneys and serves as a resource to others in the Chief Legal Office.
- Provides leadership through cross-functional projects that have a material impact to USAA.
- Effectively manages outside counsel to obtain legal advice.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited school
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- 8 years of relevant experience with at least 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Significant prior experience supporting a large and highly complex financial institutions in interactions with prudential and other federal or state regulators (e.g., OCC, FRB, CFPB, FDIC, SEC, FINRA, etc.) on regulatory matters, including regulatory exams, regulatory investigations or litigation, and managing internal projects to address regulatory matters
- Experience providing legal support to a financial institutions risk management professionals, including front-line risk and controls, compliance and internal audit, and experience interpreting and implementing prudential safety and soundness guidelines
- Demonstrated accomplishments: managing legal projects across an organization; managing outside counsel; collaborating with risk management functions to build out programs, policies, procedures, or processes for legal engagement; and briefing senior management
- Prior experience with a bank regulator, law enforcement agency and/or as in-house counsel in a highly matrixed corporate environment
- Ability to effectively manage regulatory and legal risk within approved risk appetite statements
- Pragmatic, solution-oriented advisor with sound regulatory and legal risk analytical capabilities, strategic thinker.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have managers approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 4/19/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.