Assistant Attorney General – Education
Legal work for institutions of higher education is extremely diverse in subject matter and often time sensitive. The successful candidate should have excellent written and oral advocacy skills, first-rate legal acumen, broad knowledge of diverse areas of law, the ability to communicate information and ideas accurately, clearly and concisely, and excellent interpersonal skills. Litigation experience in state and federal court is preferred, as this position is envisioned to address non-Risk Management covered litigation.
A minimum of three years legal experience is required. Membership in the Utah State Bar and qualification for admission to the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah are required. The position is a career service position upon successful completion of a one-year probationary period and the salary is commensurate with experience.
- Under the coordinating authority of the USU General Counsel, provide written and oral legal services to Utah State University, including its various departments and associated entities, on a wide range of issues related to institutions of higher education, which could include, but is not limited to employee and student issues, contracts and procurement, state/federal law compliance, university policy and associated litigation.
- Litigate matters, both independently and in association with other Assistant Attorneys General.
- Advise with regard to, conduct and/or represent Utah State University at formal and informal hearings and/or trials, as well as with regard to grievances, negotiations, and/or other matters.
- Conduct legal research and gather evidence.
- Receive, research, and respond to incoming legal inquiries and complaints; provide information, explain policy and procedures, and/or facilitate resolutions.
- Conduct legal review of, and often assist in authoring, policies considered for adoption by Utah State University.
- Attend regular meetings upon request and/or as necessary.
- Provide legal review, analysis and counsel on a wide range of issues to minimize risks typically associated with institutions of higher education.
Provide other legal services as requested by Utah State University.
(Includes knowledge, skills, and abilities required upon entry into position and trainable after entry into position)
- A Juris Doctorate is required.
- This position will be located on the campus of Utah State University in Logan, Utah with travel across the state to other USU campuses, as well as to the Attorney Generals Office in Salt Lake City.
- Risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work; however, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying light items; driving an automobile, etc. Special physical demands are not required to perform the work.
- A conditional offer of employment will be made pending a satisfactory completion of a background investigation.
- Where statute mandates, active membership in the Utah State Bar.
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Valid driver license required to drive a motor vehicle on a highway in this state per UCA 53-3-202(1)(a).