Genentechs Intellectual Property team is seeking a leader whose passion lies in creating & leveraging game-changing IP strategies that enable Roche & Genentech to do now what patients need next. As a senior business strategist, this individual will be pushing the boundaries of what is possible in a highly competitive industry while leading, empowering and developing great attorneys and staff across a dynamic & diverse global organization. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Intellectual Property of Genentech and will be located in our South San Francisco campus.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead a team of people managers & individual contributors by providing leadership, empowerment, and coaching for your team in a global matrixed environment, inspiring your team to perform at their best, optimizing their growth opportunities and capabilities to successfully contribute and operate in the global IP environment. Includes passionate engagement as a member of the Genentechs IP Leadership team, the extended IP Leadership team, Genentech legal department and global legal & patent departments.
- Develop & drive practice area strategy for our oncology business that is high value, business enabling, and global in impact & alignment across our sister companies. This includes the strategic IP procurement and management of global intellectual property rights including drafting & prosecuting patent portfolios, licensing transactions, due diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies for antibodies, small molecules, personalized therapeutics and other novel therapeutic modalities.
- Effectively partner to provide strategic advice & strategy in all intellectual property-related transactions, adverse proceedings, and litigation activities.
- Actively partner effectively with stakeholders at all levels of the global organization and across all phases of research, drug development & commercialization to provide business enabling strategy, counseling and options.
- Successfully leading change in substantive practice & operational model to create value & mitigate risk using fit for purpose solution while delivering high quality legal strategy & counsel.
- Sustainably building enduring, productive external relationships with outside counsel and third party collaborators & partners.
The successful candidate enjoys work in a fast-paced, diverse, & global environment while seeking to move the needle in bringing great medicines to patients.
Specific Daily Responsibilities may include:
- Leading and directly managing a team of 7-12 patent attorneys & agents, including other people managers, in the design & delivery of value add global IP portfolios, assessing, communicating & mitigating risk, identifying and exploiting new opportunities & approaches leveraging both a knowledge of industry trends and of the competitive landscape across the global Genentech & Roche portfolio.
- Impacting the business by sensing and proactively seizing opportunities to create value; being an excellent strategist and influencer; displaying and acting with courage & integrity in tackling difficult or challenging issues within as well as beyond the practice area.
- Proactively evolves and innovates our substantive practices in the Legal practice area or broader Legal Department to meet changing legal and business needs, focusing on solutions that are good for the enterprise rather than particular stakeholders. Developing & deploying strategies, processes, operating standards and/or practices to ensure highest quality practices & execution for all aspects of IP portfolios in a high performing, agile team setting.
- Prioritizing efforts, creative energy and attention to ensure robust value-add practices on day to day basis as well as success across the global company.
- Acting as a role model in, for example, clear communication, active listening, poise under pressure, solution-oriented mindset, collaboration across local & global teams, preserving in the face of obstacles, tackling new challenges with curiosity and openness to learning, effectively utilizing available resources.
- Maintaining and sharing deep expertise and knowledge on legal case law, rules or regulations before the US Patent & Trademark Office as well as other relevant jurisdictional IP offices.
- Exemplifying winning as one team through building effective relationships, communicating & collaborating enthusiastically across time zones and cultures.
- Assuring that GNE remains a great & fun place to practice game-changing IP law.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of success in:
- Building & leveraging global IP portfolios;
- Developing & implementing global IP strategies or initiatives, both substantive & operational;
- Leading or directing significant IP transactions including but not limited to due diligences, M&A, complex collaborations, asset acquisitions and settlement agreements;
- Leading or directing adverse proceedings including but not limited to US litigation, USPTO adverse proceedings, EPO adverse proceedings and the like;
- Building & implementing biosimilar strategy and defenses;
- Leading teams & managing people directly or matrixed;
- Leading as a member of a legal senior leadership team (e.g., reporting directly to head of intellectual property practice) within a corporate environment.
- 14+ years of experience in biopharma or biotechnology intellectual property portfolio creation, strategy, and counseling. Experience with early stage, clinical development, and launched products as well as manufacturing & technology based IP is required.
- At least 8 years of experience in a pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, or biotechnology corporation.
- An advanced degree in biological sciences, chemistry or other area relevant to pharmaceutical IP practice.
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- A United States law degree (JD) with a current good standing admission to at least one US state bar.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Legal, Legal > Licensing, Patents, TrademarksShow less
Who we areA member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individuals race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.