The National Institute of Nursing Research, Department of Extramural Science Programs (DESP) is looking to fill a Program Analyst position within their program. The ideal candidate will possess the knowledge and skills to independently analyze and evaluate, on a quantitative and/or qualitative basis, the effectiveness of programs or operations in meeting established goals, measures, and objectives. Please take this opportunity to join our dynamic team. For more information please click DESP.
Learn more about this agency
- Employ advanced qualitative and quantitative techniques to analyze, and measure the effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity of organizational programs.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement performance measures to evaluate productivity programs.
- Establish study methods and techniques to be utilized in complex studies and audits.
- Interpret findings resulting from studies that are independently developed.
- Develop modifications, revisions, and implement procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of program operations.
- Develop various statistical tables and reports, or new or modified work methods, management processes and procedures for administering program services, guidelines and procedures for program operations.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements within thirty (30) calendar days of the closing date of this announcement, including time in grade.
You qualify for a Program Analyst, GS-0343 position at the GS-11 level, you must have:
A. completed a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or an LL.M., if directly related; OR
B. 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: analyzing the effectiveness, efficiency and productivity of conventional problems involving program operations; reviewing the effectiveness of policies and procedures related to the management and administration of financial and budgeting operations; gathering and organizing statistical information to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of program operations; and drafting recommendations for modifying, revising, or implementing procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of program operations; OR
C. a combination of post baccalaureate education that is related to the position and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
You qualify for a Program Analyst, GS-0343 position at the GS-12 level, if you have 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: analyzing and measuring the effectiveness, efficiency and productivity of organizational programs; performing studies and analyses to evaluate the effectiveness of policies and procedures related to the management and administration of financial and budgeting operations; implementing procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of program operations; and recommending and implementing operations solutions to senior management.
You will receive credit for all experience material to the position, including experience gained in religious, civic, welfare, service, and organizational activities, regardless of whether you received pay.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10889203
If you qualify based on education in lieu of specialized experience, you are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application packages. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education .
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- This position is designated as a " non-emergency/teleworker " position and the selected candidate will be considered a " non-emergency/teleworker " employee.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should apply online to this announcement to receive consideration.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program ( E-Verify ). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Visit our Applicant FAQs page for helpful information on the application process.
- Visit our Total Compensation page for a detailed look into the benefits, awards, leave, retirement and other incentives employees may receive as part of a rewarding work environment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer. To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) , you must be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry and substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career. To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builde r. If you choose to use your own resume, you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
If the position has an education requirement or you are qualifying on the basis of education, you need to list your education history including the type of degree and your major of study. If the position requires a certain number of credit hours, you are strongly encouraged to list the relevant courses in your resume. Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
For resume writing guidance, please visit the following resources: NIH Jobs website , USAJOBS Resource Center , and the USAJOBS Resume Writing Video Tutorial .
You must submit a completed assessment questionnaire.
To be considered eligible, you must submit the following documentation, if applicable to you AND respond accordingly to the associated question on the online questionnaire. If you do not provide the required information, we will assume you are not eligible or you do not wish to be considered for any preference or eligibility.
- SF-50 – A copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional SF-50 that shows the effective date of your latest position and the full performance level. You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from your eOPF .
- Visit our site on the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) for more information on eligibility and required documentation.
Please do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. To protect your personal information, we will only send your resume and cover letter to the selecting official or hiring manager.