*This position is Limited Term*
Provide in-house legal services to TriMet’s Engineering & Construction Division, which plans, designs, and constructs transit projects for the agency, including bus facilities, extensions to the light rail system, operations and administrative facilities, bus garages and light rail operations bases. The division also acquires and manages real property for the agency, and implements opportunities for transit-supportive developments along the transit system. Legal services will include providing assistance and advice in a broad variety of areas, including construction, contracting, and real property, with an emphasis on supporting the Division’s construction projects, which include complex, federally-funded projects. Provide assistance in a proactive manner, in the avoidance and/or resolution of claims and other disputes.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.1. Provide legal services to Engineering & Construction staff in the areas of construction and contract law. Draft contracts and interpret contract language. Assist staff with claims resolution and avoidance, including legal research and advice on contracting issues.
2. Provide legal services to Engineering & Construction staff in the areas of real property acquisition and relocation, including the use of eminent domain. Ensure compliance with state and federal law. Provide legal services related to the management and disposition of real property.
3. Provide legal services to staff related to the procurement and administration of construction contracts and personal services contracts. Assist staff and TriMet’s Procurement Department as needed to minimize disputes and avoid protests.
4. Provide legal services to staff related to environmental and land use issues.
5. Increase the effectiveness of the delivery of legal services through the use of preventative methods such as proactive involvement, early identification, and resolution of potential issues/disputes.
6. Maintain comprehensive knowledge of pertinent federal and state laws, regulations, rulings, interpretations and court decisions as they affect TriMet. Ensure compliance with Federal Transit Administration requirements.
7. Work effectively as a team member with other in-house lawyers and staff.
8. Competently apply legal analysis, research, and writing to draft clear, concise, organized and accurate legal arguments and analysis. Meet deadlines and provide all work product in a timely manner.A minimum of a JD Degree is required (Law degree from a law school fully accredited by the American Bar Association).
Active status member in good standing with the Oregon State Bar Association (required).
A minimum of zero (0) years total credited experience.* Responsible, significant and relevant experience with a law firm, public agency, or private corporation as an in-house legal counsel is required. Experience involving construction, contracts, and/or real property law is required.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the “credited experience”.Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 18, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time Limited Term ending 9/30/2022
Selection Process– Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review/ Please Include: Cover Letter and Resume
2. Panel Interviews
3. Reference and Background Check
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans’ preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays’ notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities