This position is in the National Weather Service (NWS), Office of Planning and Programming for Service Delivery (OPPSD), Office of Central Processing (OCP) with one vacancy located in Silver Spring, MD.
Learn more about this agency
The working titles for this position are Physical Scientist Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) Lead and Computer Scientist (AWIPS) Lead. As a Physical Scientist (AWIPS) Lead or Computer Scientist (AWIPS), you will perform the following duties:
- Provide oversight of scientific operational and technical software engineering development of projects to ensure adherence with Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) baseline, lead technical assessments of project team's deliverables, and ensure software integrity, stability and compliance with established requirements.
- Lead task forces or project teams in advanced systems AWIPS software and hardware deployment efforts; functioning as a technical authority in all assignments; and analyzing and evaluating work concerned with integrated systems of computer systems or computer equipment.
- Implement quality control measures and provide diligent review of all required documentation including software user guides, software data structure overviews, detailed methodology and algorithm specification documents, implementation guides, data dictionaries, and output standards.
- Support subject matter users by designing, developing and implementing technical solutions to federal, Department of Commerce (DOC), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and National Weather Service (NWS) mandates; respond to and resolve complex problems with software, hardware and systems management; integrate several hardware, software, or computer related services to provide an integrated information system.
The duties described are at the full performance level of the GS-14 grade; the duties at the GS-13 are developmental leading to the GS-14 level.
Occasional travel – Up to 10% of domestic travel may be required.
14 – If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply.
- Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- Time-in-grade/band must be met by closing date of announcement.
This position requires a Public Trust Security Clearance.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
* This position is in the bargaining unit.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https: www.opm.gov/policy .
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position has a positive Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable) in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 1301 series:
A. Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience — education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
To qualify for the 1550 series:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree in computer science or Bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
This experience need not have been in the federal government. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify for the GS-13
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Utilizing software responsible for collecting and displaying meteorological data.
To qualify for the GS-14
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Assisting with the operation and development of the software responsible for collecting and displaying meteorological data; and
- Coordinating the collection and analysis of meteorological data.
Substitution of education for specialized experience is not applicable to this vacancy.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Well-qualified for CTAP and ICTAP eligibility includes those candidates who have been determined to exceed minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85, but otherwise may or may not be among the highly or best-qualified candidates. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: http: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
NOAA participates in e-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). However, your resume or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Ability to develop services and products used to collect and analyze meteorological data.
- Ability to develop and implement services and products used to collect and analyze meteorological data.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate work with integrated computer systems or equipment.
- Ability to perform quality control of software development documentation.
- Ability to resolve software, hardware, and systems management issues.
Due weight shall be given to performance appraisals and awards in accordance with 5 CFR 335.103(b)(3), during the interview/selection process conducted by the hiring manager. If referred, all relevant documents including performance appraisals and awards submitted with your application package will be forwarded to the hiring official for review.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must include information about your paid and nonpaid work experience related to this position including: job title, duration of employment (mm/dd/yy – mm/dd/yy), hours per week, duties and accomplishments, salary, and your education. For work in the Federal service, please include the grade level for the position/s. Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire.
- SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action: If you are a current or former Federal employee, you must provide the most current Notification of Personnel Action (Form SF-50) that verifies career/career-conditional status, title, series and grade (do not submit an Award SF-50). Also provide the SF-50 that reflects the highest grade level held on a permanent basis or the full performance level of your current position, whichever is higher. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating.
- Veteran's documentation: If you are requesting consideration under Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) you must submit a copy of your Member 4 DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service or other valid proof of eligibility (i.e., statement of service that shows service dates AND character of service) and/or any other required supporting documents (VA Letter). http: www.opm.gov/staffingPortal/Vetguide.asp#VeteransEmploymentAct1998 .
- Active Duty Service Members: You must submit a statement of discharge/certification of release or an official written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions no later than 120 days from the date the announcement closes. Enlisted Record Briefs and military identification do NOT qualify as official documentation. If the appropriate information is not submitted to confirm the discharge status, dates of service, etc., you will not be considered for this job opportunity under Veteran Preference procedures. To gain access to your DD-214 online please visit http: www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) documentation if applicable (see other information).
- Documentation supporting eligibility for non-competitive appointment, (severely disabled, eligible veterans, certain military spouses, etc.)
- Education. If this position requires proof of higher education, you must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website. You MUST provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation by the closing date of the announcement will result in lost consideration.
- Due weight shall be given to performance appraisals and awards in accordance with 5 CFR 335.103(b)(3), during the interview/selection process conducted by the hiring manager.
- Performance Appraisal – Submit the most recent performance appraisal (dated within the last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor. Do not submit a performance plan that does not include this information.
- Awards – Copies of any award received within the last 3 years.
- Applicants may submit these documents during the application process.