This position is located in the Economic Analysis Division (EA) of the Department of Policy and Evaluation (DPE), Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC).
Although the position is advertised equivalent to SES/SL, MCC uses a pay banded system to compensate employees. This position is pay band MC-2C which is generally equal to SES/SL in pay only.
The first cutoff date for referral of applications is 8/10/2020. Referrals will be made until a selection is made or on 09/25/2020.
Learn more about this agency
- The Managing Director serves as a member of the DPE management team with responsibility for managing the EA Division, including the preparation and dissemination of timely, accurate and evidence-based economic guidance and analysis in support of MCC program design, decision-making, implementation and evaluation.
- Provides strategic and technical advice to MCC officials and employees on a wide variety of economic issues. Contributes to the development of a community of practice on economic methods applied to analytic work of the Department, in collaboration with the Chief Economist and Senior Director for macroeconomic analysis.
- Assists the Chief Economist to direct formulation, dissemination, revision and archiving of MCC policies and guidance for the design and implementation of microeconomic analysis in the Agency (e.g., beneficiary analysis, cost benefit analysis). Develops and recommends improvements to broader MCC policies, practices, and methods in relation to the analysis of economic developments in developing countries. Analyzes consistency of policy recommendations with United States Government (USG), partner country, and international development community objectives.
- The Managing Director supports the Chief Economist to formulate short- and long-range strategic goals for the EA Division and helps define these goals for the Department and Agency as a whole. Conducts periodic and comprehensive evaluations of ongoing functions to ensure that the EA Division meets its stated goals, and identifies areas where operational efficiency can be enhanced.
- Performs administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised. Ensures a continuing affirmative application of MCC policies concerning equal opportunity.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- More than 1 job may be filled if additional vacancies occur within 120 days
- Some domestic and international travel will be required
This position has a minimum education requirement.
You must have a degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
You must have a combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
To qualify for pay band 2D you must also meet the following:
Have at least one year of specialized experience relevant to the position duties and comparable to the MCC Pay Band 3A (GS-15) or an equivalent level which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, examples of this experience are: experience serving as a recognized expert on a broad range of economic topics and as a senior advisor to Agency leaders; experience directing the development, dissemination, revision and archiving of economic analysis (e.g., growth diagnostics, cost-benefit analyses, beneficiary analyses, etc.); experience directing and supervising a staff; and experience the agency to governments, the private sector, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), partner countries and academia. Note: This experience MUST be well documented within your resume or application.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit may be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time
work. To receive credit you must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours worked per week.
- This position may be filled under Direct-Hire Authority (DHA) – Veterans preference does not apply when selecting individuals under DHA. Any qualified applicant may be selected without regard to competitive rating and ranking, veterans' preference, and "rule of three" procedures.
- RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION BONUS may be authorized for this position. If you are not a current federal employee this position may authorize a one time Recruitment bonus to be paid over a specified period. Selected individual will be required to a sign service agreement prior to receiving any bonus payments.
- If you are a current federal employee this position may authorize a one time Relocation bonus to be paid over a specified period. Selected individual will be required to a sign service agreement prior to receiving any bonus payments.
- Selectee may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience.
- The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower level, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
- Direct Hire Authority may be used to fill this position. The 'Rule of Three', Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to this vacancy.
- Qualifications by Closing Date: You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Please note that qualification claims will be subject to verification.
- Pay: Your pay will be set within the range specified in this vacancy announcement and will be based on your qualifications, education, experience, training, and availability of funds.
- Promotion Potential: If the position is advertised with promotion potential, the selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition. Selection at a lower pay band level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level, nor is the promise of promotion implied.
- DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination.
- Selectee may be required to complete a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Form (OGE 450).
- Government Travel Card – You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government contractor issued travel card to be used for official business.
- Selectee may be required to complete a probationary/trial period.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your application and supporting documents will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for the position and to ensure that you have been placed in the appropriate quality category. The HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities related to the position such as:
- Minimum Qualifications
- Oral Communication
- Technical Competence
Based on the information you provided in your application package, you will be placed in one of three quality categories – Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Those applicants who are determined to be best qualified will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and may be called for an interview.
If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience your category can and will be adjusted to more reflect your abilities, and you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents must be received by the closing date of this announcement:
- Applicants MUST utilize resumes created using the USAJOBS-formatted Resume Builder ( http: www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/account/documents/resume/build/
- Unofficial college transcripts – if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify "Unofficial" transcripts are acceptable. If selected for the position, prior to your appointment, an official transcript will be required.
- If you are displaced Federal employee, you may be entitled to receive special priority consideration under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) or Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP). View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. See https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/career-transition/ . To be considered eligible under ICTAP or CTAP, you must be placed in the "well-qualified" category for this position, as described above.
- Veterans Preference documentation (DD-214 – member 4 copy or other copies that indicate character of discharge or equivalent, SF-15 and VA Letter as appropriate) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
- If you are eligible for Special Appointment eligibility (e.g., 30% compensable veteran, individuals with disabilities, former Peace Corps, military spouses or other noncompetitive eligibility candidates.) requires submission of supporting documentation. For more information visit: http: www.opm.gov/employ/students/fedhire.asp#authorities, http: www.usajobs.gov/ei/individualswithdisabilities.asp,http: www.opm.gov/disability
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.