Are you interested in a rewarding and challenging career? Join the U.S. Small Business Administration, Office of Inspector General! SBA OIG provides auditing, investigative, and other high quality services to support and assist the SBA in achieving its mission. We promote open and honest communication and encourage a positive work environment. We are listed among the top ranked agencies in the Partnership for Public Service's 2018 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government!
Learn more about this agency
- Interprets and applies guidance in multiple program areas related to Financial Audits. Plans, executes, and reports multiple complex statutory and performance evaluations and reviews within statutory deadlines. Provides guidance and oversight on financial and statutory evaluations.
- Measures, tests and monitors performance of SBA's annual financial statement audit and related internal controls against statutory criteria and ensures OIG's compliance with laws, regulations, contracts, and grant agreements as required under the IG Act. Demonstrates understanding of Financial Information Security Controls Audit Manual. (ISCAM) and related IT security controls. Participates in CIGIE's Financial Audit Statement Network and A-133 oversight board.
- Coordinates potential issue resolution with Government and non-governmental entities, with respect to all audit matters relating to the prevention and detection of fraud and abuse; and the identification and prosecution of participants in fraud and abuse in Agency programs and operations.
- Advises OIG leadership on matters perceived as having an adverse impact on program integrity through mismanagement, waste, and abusive practices, and recommend specific program functions for fraud detection investigation Communicates to OIG leadership and other stakeholders the status of audits, and other serious problems disclosed by the auditors.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- You must successfully complete a background investigation.
- You may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- You must meet the Basic Education Requirement.
- Candidates who are determined to be qualified for this position, must complete an additional online assessment through Talent Plus. You must complete the Talent Plus Assessment within 48 hours of being sent the email notification.
- Please be sure to read the entire Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) before applying to the vacancy.
Your resume must provide sufficient experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet any basic requirements and specialized experience.
Basic Education Requirement :
Degree: Accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor."); OR
Combination of education and experience: At least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following: Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR a certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph 1, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's Qualifications web site.
Specialized Experience Statement :
GS-13: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, obtained in either the private or public sector: exercising expertise in Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) and related professional judgment through planning, coordinating and conducting complex financial and performance audits, evaluations of major programs and operations; communicating issues, justifying conclusions reached and recommending course of actions; performing formal and informal technical briefings to high level management defending a position to gain support from the audience in an audit environment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
TIME-IN-GRADE : If you are a current career or career-conditional federal employee applying for promotion under Merit Promotion you must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in positions at the next level lower than the position being filled.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 10/14/2020.
There is a positive education requirement for this position. Transcripts/certificates must be provided with your application that reflects the requirements of this position. (NOTE: Transcripts/certificates must be provided to show proof of education unless you currently or previously held a 0511 position; failure to submit required documents by the close of the announcement may result in an ineligible rating.)
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Verify School accreditation . All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. *** For further information, click on: Foreign Education .
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS: A background investigation may be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
CTAP/ICTAP APPLICANTS: If you are applying for a special selection priority under SBA's Career Transition Assistance Plan (open to surplus SBA employees only) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (open to surplus and displaced Federal employees), you must submit proof of eligibility. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at: CTAP/ICTAP.
SELECTIVE SERVICE: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. For additional information visit www.sss.gov .
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: You are required to file a new entrant Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 450 Report).
Telework is available. For information on Telework visit: http: www.telework.gov/
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement if additional vacancies occur within 180 days of the date the certificates were issued.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on how well you meet the qualifications listed in this vacancy announcement. Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your application materials, the responses you provide on the application questionnaire, and the result of the online assessment required for this position (if you are determined qualified after initial review). You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Interpersonal Skills
- Oral Communication
- Planning and Evaluating
- Problem Solving
In addition to the application and Occupational Questionnaire, this position requires submission of an Talent Plus Online Assessment by all candidates determined to be qualified. The online assessment measures critical general competencies required to perform the job. The assessment includes a cut score based on the minimum level of required proficiency in these critical general competencies. You must meet or exceed the cut score to be considered. You will not be considered for the position if you score below the cut score or fail to complete the online assessment (if forwarded to you). In order to be considered for this position, you must complete all required steps in the process.
Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or application questionnaire may result in your removal from consideration.
Career and InterAgency Career Transition Assistance Programs: If you are applying for a special selection priority under SBA's Career Transition Assistance Plan (open to surplus SBA employees only) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (open to surplus and displaced Federal employees), you must: meet CTAP eligibility criteria, be rated well-qualified for the position with a rating of 85 or above based on the competencies listed below, and submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP eligibility. Click here for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. A complete Talent Plus Assessment, if required
4. In addition to the online application (resume and responses to the occupational questionnaire), you are required to submit the following forms, if applicable. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all documents are legible:
- Federal employees must submit proof of your permanent career/career-conditional competitive status ("1" or "2" in Tenure, block 24 and "1" in Position Occupied, block 34). Submit SF-50 showing current grade and tenure and an SF-50 showing highest (permanent) grade ever held, if different. NOTE: An award or detail SF-50 will not be accepted as proof of status.
- If you are using education as a substitution for experience (the announcement will state whether this is allowed), or if there is an educational requirement for this position, you must submit a copy of your transcripts (unofficial or official) that clearly describes your qualifying education. If selected, official transcripts will be required;
- If you are claiming Veteran status, you must submit a copy of all required documents to support your claim (including a DD-214 showing character of service)–see VetGuide ;
- To receive consideration for a special appointment authority (30%, severely disabled, Peace Corps, ICTAP, VRA), you must submit all required documentation supporting your claim for Special Appointing Authorities ;
- Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD-214 (showing the character of service) or other proof of service to receive consideration for veterans' preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit FedsHireVets.gov .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.