Will focus on real estate, environmental law, equipment leasing and financing, and other compliance matters. Must have at least 5 years of experience in commercial real estate law. Exposure to environmental law, litigation, corporate law, debt compliance, equipment financing and/or securities law, would be beneficial, though not required. The individual in this role is expected to work closely with internal clients, including top-level executives, to understand their needs and help them meet their business goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Negotiate and draft contracts and other legal documents for the companys real estate transactions, including leases, acquisitions, and dispositions.
- Provide advice and counsel on environmental compliance matters.
- Review and negotiate equipment leases and otherwise support the companys treasury department with equipment financing matters.
- Assist periodically with:
- SEC reporting, corporate governance, proxy statement preparation, annual stockholder meeting matters, corporate secretarial and related public company obligations;
- the development, maintenance and implementation of the companys corporate governance policies and compliance programs, including matters relating to insider trading, Sarbanes-Oxley, business ethics, FCPA, etc.;
- advice and counsel on corporate governance matters, including NASDAQ, SEC, and Delaware General Corporate Law requirements;
- supporting the Companys executive and director compensation programs; and
- ensuring compliance with, and provide counsel on, the Companys credit facilities.
- Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues in real estate, finance, accounting, treasury, human resources, and other departments to facilitate a coordinated team approach.
- Engage, communicate with, and manage outside counsel, as appropriate.
- Advise and consult employees regarding legal issues and corporate policies.
- Advise appropriate company personnel of any changes in laws as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adaptability – Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Trusting Relationships – Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in ones intentions.
- Collaborating – Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
- Communication – Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that help them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Continuous Learning – Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Initiating Action – Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Work Standards – Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Law degree from a well-respected law school and admission to the Kansas bar or eligibility for admission under Rule 712.
- Five (5) or more years of commercial real estate experience in a medium-to-large law firm or corporate legal department.
- Experience with, or desire to develop knowledge and skills in, environmental law, litigation, corporate, securities, governance, debt compliance, and equipment leasing.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong negotiation, communication, organizational, and decision-making skills.
- Proficiency with legal research tools such as Lexis or Westlaw.
This job operates in a professional office environment indoors. Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The position requires the ability to spend long hours sitting or standing while using office equipment and computers. Ability to perform repetitive tasks such as typing and keying. Occasional lifting, pushing/pulling, carrying 10 lbs of supplies and materials is required.
YRC Worldwide, along with all subsidiary companies, are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer