This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U. S. Coast Guard (USCG), Deputy Commandant for Mission Support, Assistant Commandant for Engineering & Logistics, Office of Civil Engineering, COCO Construction Contracting Division (SILC), Norfolk, VA.
Learn more about this agency
You will serve as a senior contracting officer responsible for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) strategic sourcing portfolio for COCO SILC Construction, including the solution for additional contract capacity for the National Multiple Award Construction Contract (NMACC) in the form of procurement of a new contract vehicle.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
- Serving as contracting officer responsible for execution and administration of solution for NMACC contract capacity, resulting in award of a new multiple award Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) with a multi-billion dollar capacity that will support the CG Civil Engineering program and potentially DHS components.
- Managing existing DHS strategic sourcing portfolio including development of acquisition strategy, procurement planning, DHS component interface, DHS business case and Procurement Strategy Roadmap development. Organizes industry engagement with IDIQ holders.
- Ensuring strategic sourcing compliance and contract availability in Electronic Contract Filing System and DHS Financial System Modernization Solution.
- Planning, managing, and advising in developing pre-negotiation strategies and in conducting negotiations.
- Directing, coordinative and advisory efforts with project officers to plan and develop long and short range acquisition plans, strategies and realistic approaches for program goals.
- Reviewing and approving acquisition instruments, documentation and correspondence to assure adherence to acquisition regulations and policy, comprehensive treatment of information, clarity, and proper formatting and structuring.
Occasional travel – Less than 25% travel required.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Unofficial Transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
- You may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Must be able to qualify for and maintain a Government Travel Card.
- This is a TERM appointment not to exceed 4 years.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
For the GS-1102-14 position:
You must meet all three requirements listed below; unless you are covered by an exception:
1) Completion of a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major in any field, that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
NOTE: The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) does not grant Academic degrees; therefore courses completed at the DAU are not creditable towards meeting the 24 semester hour requirement, in the fields identified above, unless the coursework has been evaluated by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, and appears on a college or university transcript.
2) Completion of at least 4-years of experience in a contracting or related position, 1 year of which was directly related experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service. Directly related experience must have involved the application of procurement and contracting principles, laws, regulations and procedures in planning, developing, implementing, and maintaining all aspects of the administration of one or more major systems contracts; applying knowledge of a procurement functional area sufficient to provide expert technical leadership, staff coordination, and consultation; formulating guidelines, implementing new developments, and providing policy interpretation; performing in-depth evaluations of the financial and technical capabilities, or the performance, of the contractor; planning and conducting on-site training to improve overall acquisition functions; coordinating the implementation of financial management business processes that impact contract operations; and assisting in the implementation of policies, programs and services related to acquisition information technology systems.
EXCEPTIONS TO QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Applicants who have been in a GS-1102 position, at or above the GS-13 level, since January 1, 2000 without a break in service only need to meet the 1-year of directly related experience in order to qualify. The educational, training and additional years of contracting experience requirements do not apply to these individuals.
3) Training refers to the May 7, 2014, Memorandum on Revisions to the Federal Acquisition Certification in Contracting (FAC-C) from the Office of Federal Procurement Policy. Applicants must meet the FAC-C requirements and be certified at Level II or III at the time of application. Possession of certification must be indicated as part of application submission. Applicants not certified may still apply and be selected, but must achieve certification within 24 months of appointment. A valid Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) certification is equivalent to a FAC-C at the same certification level, provided the FAC-C education and continuous learning requirements have been met. Certification requirements may be viewed at click here.
NOTE: Position requires high level subject matter expertise in Federal construction and architect-engineering contracting.
NOTE: The agency may obtain a waiver for any individual not meeting the training requirements. The CG Head of the Contracting Activity must obtain the waiver from the DHS Chief Procurement Officer prior to the extension of an employment offer.
NOTE: If you are currently employed with an agency other than DHS and seeking a lateral transfer AND you were promoted to an 1102 position at or above the GS-13 level (or equivalent) after 12/31/99 based on a waiver of the agency's training requirements, you will need to be approved for another training waiver before you can be hired into a GS-1102 position at or above the GS-13 level with DHS. If you were hired into your current GS-1102-13 or higher level position, with a non-DHS agency, based on an educational waiver, you will still have to meet the educational requirements stated in Qualification Requirements #1.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorized employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must discuss this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U. S. Department of education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
This is a TERM appointment not to exceed 4 years.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans , Peace Corps / VISTA volunteers , and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 202-795-6272. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
Location Salary Low Salary High
Chesapeake, VA $108,328.00 $140,823.00
Washington, DC $121,316.00 $157,709.00
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All applicants who meet the basic qualification requirement for this position will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration.
The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
1. Your resume
2. Your responses to the online questionnaire
3. Submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript copy must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here.
4. If you are claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
5. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include the following information: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members' military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
6. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system, with fax number and instructions to transmit the requested documents. The required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is COMMANDANT (CG-123HQ), ATTN OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES (JOBS), US COAST GUARD, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE STOP 7912, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7912.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.