Our long-standing client, an international Fortune 500 company, has exclusively engaged us to find an experienced major projects attorney for its Houston office.
All resumes must be submitted through Sharon Gerber Attorney Search, Inc. for consideration.
This position offers an opportunity to do a variety of quality work and assume significant responsibility and a leading role with a stable, premier corporation and in a collegial environment. The attorney hired will work closely with business units.
There is also a 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off of work.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provide legal support to the Low Carbon Ventures, Major Projects and Finance functions, including: identifying key issues related to transactions and providing strategic and pragmatic legal advice; and developing and implementing project shareholding/corporate structures that comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, and meet corporate objectives
- Negotiate, draft, review and comment on project documents, including, in particular, joint ventures, joint development agreements, Pre-FEED, FEED, EPC/EPCM and other construction services arrangements (whether lump sum, cost reimbursable, or hybrid arrangements) and related documents (e.g. letters of credit and performance guarantees) and assist with tenders relating to the same
- Provide accurate, concise, and timely legal advice in a professional manner to a diverse, cross-functional group of internal clients
- Demonstrated capability to build knowledge in particular areas of law, with the ability to quickly identify legal risks
- Ability to think strategically and to appreciate both the immediate and longer term business impacts of different legal courses of action
- Maintain and update standard form contracts and conduct internal training workshops regarding such standard form contracts and the procurement process more generally
- Support legal due diligence on potential development, investment/financing opportunities
- Support claims, disputes, mediations, litigations and arbitrations relating to construction projects
- Instruct, supervise and manage external law firms to ensure the highest quality of legal representation in a cost-effective manner
- Minimum seven (7) or more years of experience leading the development and/or financing of complex major capital projects at a top-tier law firm or multinational corporation, of which, at least four (4) years at a top-tier law firm
- Strong knowledge of the elements of a complex major capital project
- Strong commercial, transactional, client advisory, influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team, including first-chair experience leading negotiations, drafting and instructing outside counsel
- Proven ability to quickly grasp complex commercial agreements
- Advanced knowledge of legal principles and practices, including construction (required), finance, including tax equity and project finance (preferred) and M&A (preferred)
- Demonstrated academic excellence in achieving Juris Doctorate
- Demonstrated experience in the O&G industry is strongly preferred, but significant experience with the development and financing of large scale projects in the energy, infrastructure or extractives sector will also be considered (deal list, including candidates roles, should be provided)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
- JD from a top-tier law school and law license in good standing
- Stable work history required
Other Significant Requirements:
The ideal candidate must possess a positive, collaborative, collegial attitude and a willingness to work outside of the assigned business unit, often supporting other oil and gas team members in their business units, in an environment of mutual respect and shared commitment to the teams delivery of outstanding work product and responsiveness to organizational clients.
Very competitive salary, bonus, and outstanding benefits package.
Employer will pay relocation costs.