THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a Surface Maintenance Repairer (Title 32), Position Description Number D1193000 and is part of the VA G4, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
As a Surface Maintenance Repairer (Title 32), WG-5801-08, you will perform the below duties:
(1) Performs limited diagnosis, routine repairs and maintenance on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles.
(2) Performs limited diagnoses to determine the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses basic test equipment such as compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges. Determines when parts should be cleaned, adjusted or replaced with standard parts to complete work orders.
(3) Removes, replaces, adjusts, cleans and installs parts and components such as wheel seals, switches, sensors, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering pumps, brakes, filters, radiators, bearings, springs, shock absorbers, wheel cylinders, starter motors, mufflers, battery cables, and other items of similar complexity.(
4) Independently performs routine repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems using standard parts.
(5) Conducts limited readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc.
(6) May perform routine maintenance and limited repairs on basic communication equipment such as radios, field telephones, amplifiers, switchboards, recorders, intercoms by removing and replacing components and elements.
(7) In conjunction with or in the absence of the Tools and Parts Attendant, may maintain supply documentation, and the receipt, store, issue, and inventory of tools and parts used in the trades operation.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
WHO CAN APPLY:
GROUP I – All qualified Male/Female Enlisted Member (E-1/PVT – E-9/SGM) OR a Warrant Officer W1/WO1 – W2/CW2 ) currently employed (permanent) in the Virginia Army National Guard Military Technician Program.
GROUP II – All qualified Virginia Army National Guard Male/Female Enlisted Member (E-1/PVT – E-9/SGM) OR a Warrant Officer W1/WO1 – W2/CW2 regardless of employment status (Traditional, Military Technician or AGR). To be considered as a Group II applicant, proof of appointment/enlistment in the Virginia National Guard must be attached if the appointment/enlistment occurred within 60 days prior to, or during, the advertisement period.
Military Grades: Enlisted Member (E-1/PVT – E-9/SGM) OR a Warrant Officer W1/WO1 – W2/CW2
GENERAL EXPERIENCE : Applicant must have experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and are you able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Applicant must have at least 12 months of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the WG-7 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government. This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector, but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the WG grade indicated. This experience must include activities such as:
If you are using Education to qualify for this position,
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: SF50 for current Federal Technicians
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.