About the Position:
This position is located in Alexandria, Virginia at the Department Of Defense Education Activity. For the Financial and Business OPS resource management division; Accounting and budget execution branch. Alexandia, VA, is located along the western bank of the Potomac River. The city is about six miles south of downtown Washington, D.C.
Learn more about this agency
- Identify problems such as database errors, inaccurate records and reports, regulatory non-compliance, inaccurate guidance, and correctness of payment and accounting for public funds.
- Participate in quality assurance reviews of un-liquidated obligations, obligation estimates and month-end reporting.
- Review, analyze, and perform various fund control and accounting functions with special emphasis on improving the accuracy, content, and timeliness of financial reporting.
- Serve as the authority on financial aspects of accounting data for assigned geographical areas.
- Analyze inspection findings to determine sources of problems and recommending process changes to avoid recurrence.
- Analyze numerous accounts and transactions and determining the nature and extent of adjustments required to reconcile and balance accounts.
Conditions of Employment
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Requirement.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- A trial or probationary period may be required.
- Appointment subject to a suitability/fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- This position is a Financial Management Level II certified position per the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2012, Section 1599d. You must achieve this level within prescribed timelines.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Competitive Service Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Civilian Employee
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DoD) Civilian Employee
- Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Specialized Experience for the GS 09: One year of specialized experience which includes gathering data to prepare financial records and reports and conducting analyses of financial data to support conclusions or recommendations for action. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
Education: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: business administration, finance, economics, statistics or accounting.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the first year (total graduate semester hours minus 18) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Specialized Experience for the GS 11: One year of specialized experience which includes reviewing transactions to balance accounts, identifying accounting database errors, and reviewing transactions for accuracy. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
Education: Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: business administration, finance, economics, statistics or accounting.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Specialized Experience for the GS 12: One year of specialized experience which includes reviewing numerous transactions to balance multiple accounts, identifying adjustments required to reconcile accounts, and overseeing accounting functions for an organization. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone–no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Economics and Accounting
- Principles of Finance
- Problem Solving
Time in Grade Requirement for GS 09: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-07).
Time in Grade Requirement for GS 11: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-09).
Time in Grade Requirement for GS 12: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-11).
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Be advised that effective Jan. 1 2018, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, most civilian employee relocation allowances became taxable. The Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) reimburses eligible employees for the additional Federal, State, and local income taxes incurred as a result of receiving taxable travel income. RITA does not apply to new government employees or employees returning from an overseas assignment for the purpose of separation from Government service. For more information, visit https: www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction.html .
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Management may select at any of the grade levels announced. This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to the target grade of the position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management. Duties described reflect the full performance GS-12 level. If not selected at the full performance level, duties will be performed in a developmental capacity under close supervision.
- As a Military Spouse Preference eligible, you must be determined best qualified at the full performance level to receive preference.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (e.g. applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement). Please review the following link to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Proof of Eligibility .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Time-in-grade documentation: If you are applying for a higher grade and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement so you will need to provide an SF-50 which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-grade Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- Bachelor's Transcript
- Master's Transcript. This transcript is required IF it applies to you.
- EDS Transcript. This transcript is required IF it applies to you.
- Doctorate's transcript. This transcript is required IF it applies to you.
NOTE: Transcripts must include the date and degree was conferred. Transcripts without this information will not be reviewed and will result in disqualification. Your transcripts must clearly identify coursework required for the position you are applying for. Transcripts submitted in other languages other than English must include an official translation or will not be considered. Computer print-outs of transcripts, links to transcripts, grade reports, copies of degree diplomas or certificates, illegible copies and unofficial copies of transcripts will not be acceptable. Receipt of these documents will result in automatic disqualification.
Transcripts: This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible.
Official Transcripts: Failure to provide copies of all applicable transcripts will result in disqualification due to incomplete application. You must scan, upload and attach legible photocopies of the following official transcripts:
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.