This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), Office of Human Capital Management (OHCM) – East Operations in Reston, VA. OHCM – East Operations is looking to fill a Supervisory HR Assistant position to contribute to the mission of the BIA by supervising the HR Assistants and providing expert technical support in the areas of personnel record retention, applicant pre-employment, new employee orientation, personnel action processing, and related HR functions.
Learn more about this agency
- Is responsible for oversight of all personnel action processing, data integrity, quality reviews, and the entrance on duty function. Work of the unit is carried out by five Human Resources Assistants with a full performance level of GS-8.
- Serves as liaison and primary point of contact between Human Resources (HR) Specialists and Human Resources (HR) Assistants, and ensures processes and procedures are kept in line with program goals and emerging regulations and guidance.
- Answers technical questions and assists staff with complex or unusual problems/issues such as back pay cases and settlement agreements.
- Recommends and implements new or revised systems, procedures, or processes as necessary.
- Verifies accuracy of system-generated actions and resolves discrepancies. Determines creditable service for leave. Computes service computation dates.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Indian Preference applies
- You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
- You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Telework: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for situational telework or telework during an emergency or natural disaster.
GS-09 : To qualify at the GS-09 grade level, you must meet the following criteria:
Specialized Experience – To qualify at the GS-09 grade level, you must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-08 grade level performing ALL of the following: (1) independently processing the full range of personnel actions using a federal personnel/payroll system in accordance to the Guide to Processing Personnel Actions (GPPA); (2) providing guidance concerning FEHB and FEGLI programs and processing enrollment changes; (3) researching and resolving complex payroll issues including the processing of multiple corrections; AND (4) training lower level employees on administrative processes.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date.
All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2020 Salary Tables here, select the duty station from the Reston, Virginia and find that pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart.
The full performance level of this position is GS-09.
This is a supervisory position. Under provision of the Civil Service Reform Act, first-time supervisors are required to serve a one year supervisory probationary period before their appointment becomes final. Those who do not satisfactorily complete this probationary period will be returned to positions of no lower grade and pay than those they occupied before assuming their supervisory assignment.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 83 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http: www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
LAND MANAGEMENT WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY ACT: Under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) two groups of individuals are eligible to apply under this announcement: current and/or former employees serving or who have served under time-limited competitive appointments at land management agencies. Land Management Agencies include: Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, and U.S. Forest Service.
- Current appointees: 1) must have been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency; 2) must have served under one or more time limited appointment(s) by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years; AND 3) must have performed at an acceptable level during each period of service.
- Former appointees: 1) must have been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency; 2) must have served under one or more time limited appointment(s) by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years; 3) must have separated for reasons other than misconduct or performance; AND 4) must have performed at an acceptable level through the service period.
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process if you are an applicant with a disability, or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume will be evaluated after the closing date of 10/14/2020 to determine whether you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position described above. Qualified candidates will then be further evaluated to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education in relation to the competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the position as demonstrated by your responses to the assessment questions. Competencies measured include:
- Administration and Management
- Customer Service
- Human Resources Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Personnel and Human Resources
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If your responses to the assessment questions cannot be supported by your resume, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your experience. Qualified applicants will be evaluated, rated and referred to the selecting official under category rating procedures or merit promotion procedures (depending on eligibility based on documents submitted, and placed in one of the following categories:
BEST QUALIFIED: Applicants possess all of the job related competencies identified above.
WELL QUALIFIED: Applicants possess a majority of the job related competencies.
QUALIFIED: Applicants meet the basic eligibility and minimum qualification requirements but do not meet the definition of Best Qualified or Well Qualified.
Qualified Indian preference candidates competing outside of merit promotion procedures will be referred to the hiring manager in order of veterans' preference.
You may preview the assessment questions here in the https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10922859 . Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur within 90 days from the closing date.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required for this position:
- For 5-point veterans' preference, please provide your DD-214, Copy 4 that MUST show an Honorable Discharge (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., copy of military orders, campaign documents as or expeditionary award citation, etc.) proving your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
- For 10-point veterans' preference, you must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference and the supporting documentation required by that form.
- If you are a disabled veteran you must submit a Veterans Affairs (VA) letter on VA letterhead that states your overall combined rating and a DD214 (copy 4) reflecting an honorable discharge.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59 PM Eastern Time ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package before you submit it.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM OR ACCEPTED BY THIS OFFICE.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.