The incumbent in this position serves as an Information Technology Specialist in the Information Technology Operations Branch (ITOB), a component of the Internal Operations Division (IOD).
Learn more about this agency
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-14. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
– Perform advanced server administration and configuration tasks on both the underlying server operating system (OS – MS Windows), and the application server (IBM Domino). At the OS level, the incumbent can design and order a Windows-based server from a cloud services provider and configure security and firewall settings which effectively comply with federal standards while meeting OGE's business requirements. Configure backups, monitors server resource utilization, and provide a strategy for redundant services at multiple datacenters to cover outages or high traffic periods. The Incumbent has demonstrated expertise in providing advanced IBM Domino server administration. For example, the incumbent can manage replication in a multi-server environment, configure Internet sites and settings, install and configure SSL certificates, configure security settings and apply security patches, setup trust relationships in a multi-domain environment, configure DMZ pass thru, and configure single sign on (SSO) between Domino and Windows Active Directory.
– Design, development and use of microcomputer-based automated management information systems. Incumbent is responsible for the overall evaluation and review of OGE-wide information management activities, such as information processing, document storage and retrieval, computer graphic design, website, and mainframe connectivity and access.
– Perform analyses of the program, management and administrative functions of the OGE staff offices, identifies areas that are appropriate for automation and conducts feasibility studies to determine the relative utility of microcomputer technology. Incumbent has demonstrated expertise in business process re-engineering, which includes designing and developing computer-run management information systems. Meet independently with OGE component offices and, as necessary, with other federal agencies that use OGE's electronic systems, to analyze fully their business processes and then plan, design, build, test, and roll-out applications.
– Provide input for the development for hardware, software, contractual services, and maintenance and repair of computer equipment. Provide both short- and long-term planning documents and cost projections to the CIO. In addition, the incumbent identifies independently the need for and develops management information systems to assist OGE managers in the analysis of varied data for program planning.
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
Relevant experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Examples of such experience for the GS-11 could include:
– Experience supporting senior IT specialists in system deployment, quality assurance, and/or version control.
– Experience participating in, or supporting, the planning and coordinating of system enhancement or development projects.
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must have proficiency in each of the four competencies listed below.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to do the work. Graduate education must be in one or a combination of the following fields: computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must also show proficiency in 1) attention to detail, 2) customer service, 3) oral communication, and 4) problem solving.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following time-in-grade requirement, if applicable:
For the GS-11, you must have been at the GS-09 level for 52 weeks.
Time After Competitive Appointment: Candidates who are current federal employees serving on a nontemporary competitive appointment must have served at least 3 months in that appointment.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
– We offer opportunities for telework.
– We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
– File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
– Undergo an income tax verification.
– The Hatch Act Reform Amendments of 1993 prohibits requesting, transmitting, accepting, or considering political recommendations for employment or other personnel actions for non-political positions.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical, Problem Solving, and Communication Skills. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ) you must receive a score of 95 or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES — Documentation Relating to Your Federal Employment:
– Submit a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, which shows your current (or most recent) grade and competitive service status. (The "position occupied" block on the SF-50 should show a "1" and your "tenure" block should show a "1" or "2".)
– If you are currently on a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), submit a copy of an SF-50 showing that. Also, you must submit a copy of your DD214 or other documentation showing dates of service and type of discharge and any other applicable documents such as SF-15, VA letters, etc.
– Indicate on your application the highest permanent grade you have held; if this grade is different from your current grade, submit a copy of an additional SF-50 showing this grade.
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL: Submit a copy of your most recent completed annual performance appraisal which includes the final rating. If you have not received a performance appraisal, please explain why in your application.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are applying under a special hiring authority (e.g. Military Spouses, Interchange Agreement, VEOA, VRA, Schedule A Disability, etc.), please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be eligible under one of these authorities, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page . If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.