Purpose of Job
USAA is looking for a Legal Operations Executive to lead a high performing organization in support of the operational function of the legal department. Reporting to USAAs Chief Legal Officer, this position will be responsible for the financial, operational and technical functions of the legal department including development and execution of technology and document management strategies, prudent management of internal resources and external counsel and the strategic development and implementation of key performance metrics.
The Strategy and Planning Executive sets and leads the strategic vision and planning execution of an organization. The position is responsible for oversight of the development and administration of all the necessary programs, the project management office and the technology needed to support the strategic vision for the organization.
- Responsible for the development and recommendation of an organizations strategic goals and planning execution in support of the enterprise. Oversees results and evaluates existing plans to adjust as needed
- Leads the delivery of the organizations plan in alignment with the overarching functional policies, procedures and guidelines that may include:
- Change Management
- Data, Reporting and Analytics program
- Training and Communications
- Issue Management
- Risk Assessment
- Disciplined Execution
- Coordinates across the enterprise for understanding and to offer effective challenge to business operations/strategic direction
- Provides Senior Leadership and the EC Leader education on known issues
- Collaborates with and maintains strong internal customer relationships with executives and senor leadership, acting as an internal consultant to define and achieve strategic and operational financial objectives
- Leads/contributes to proactive assurance, business monitoring and effective challenge
- Oversees the identification of potential areas of compliance risk and inefficiencies
- Promotes the development and implementation of corrective action plans to mitigate future risks
- Sets the agenda, builds high-performance teams and sells the vision
- Ensures training and coaching of employees, mentors and develops leaders, and provides the team with development opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 10 or more years of progressive related experience developing strategies, managing major initiatives and delivering results within a complex matrix environment required
- 8 or more years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams required
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required
- Executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required
- Credibility and capacity to build strong relationships and to lead highly experienced teams
- Self-starter who is strongly motivated, proactive, and exercised good judgment.
- Juris Doctor (JD)
- 10 years of experience in the legal industry
- Experience operating in a complex and/or matrixed environment within a large FI
- Deep understanding of legal department operations
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, outside counsel management, data & analytics and systems implementation and management.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strategic thinker who is action-oriented with strong leadership and communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze issues, identify problem areas and provide the leadership necessary to effect change