We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all theyve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want todayand tomorrow.
Provides legal expertise regarding data and analytics, information management, privacy, and retention issues in the context of complex technical transactions, information management and data and analytics design. Privacy legal counsel for the Data Office. Will be part of a team advising the business of a fortune 500 parent company as well as its affiliates. Provide well-reasoned, concise counsel on legal risks associated with current, proposed or anticipated business activities, balancing business-oriented goals with legal risk. Develop and recommend company policy on a variety of legal and regulatory issues. Address other strategic issues as assigned.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to independently act on behalf of the General Counsel concerning all matters affecting the company; to communicate with and counsel all levels of the company including senior management.
- Communicate effectively with company personnel to ensure they are aware of and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Provide education and training as necessary. Able to articulate complex concepts in an easily understandable manner.
- Review company activities as requested to ensure compliance with laws, rules and regulations and contractual arrangements. Ability to handle selected matters in-house; assist clients in quantifying and developing strategies to mitigate legal risk
- Anticipate and guard against new or developing legal risks facing the company. Provide proactive advice, guidance and strategy regarding legal matters as assigned.
- Conduct research, review, analysis, drafting and approval of various documents, contracts, policies, procedures and obligations to which the company is or may become a party.
- To the extent applicable, provide management and leadership of staff, including performance management, work-flow management and career development.
- May have responsibility over compliance function or compliance professionals.
- Identify legal issues outside of general area of expertise and collaborate with other attorneys in their resolution.
Required Job Qualifications
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school; licensed to practice law in the state of Minnesota or Wisconsin
- 7+ years of relevant, high-quality legal experience.
- Demonstrated deep subject matter expertise in one or more relevant areas of regulation and law.
- Financial regulatory experience (insurance &/or securities preferred).
- Strong working knowledge of the financial services and insurance industries, including issues associated with manufacturing, administration and distribution of related products and services.
- Experience with data use and sharing laws and regulations in the financial services and health plan space preferred.
- Experience with technology, architecture, information management, data governance, and privacy counsel required.
- Experience with computer programming, network technologies, database design, and web technologies preferred.
- Occasional travel required.
Other Critical Factors
- Ability to analyze complex legal issues. Ability to develop creative business solutions that enable all parties to achieve their business goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently but collaboratively with other attorneys and internal business partners across multiple business lines.
- Ability to influence and engage others work effectively with and earn confidence of senior attorneys and senior management.
- Ability to learn, master and teach new issues to business leaders and colleagues.
- Strong communication skills.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to human.resourcesthrivent.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.