Scopely is looking for an experienced, business-minded Senior Counsel to join our rapidly growing in-house legal team. You will report to the Associate General Counsel Product & Commercial and will interact with and support various groups across our fast-paced mobile games business. You should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams and have the ability to manage a wide range of projects across all levels of the business.
What you will do:
- Counsel and support global Product, Engineering, IT/Security, Analytics, Marketing, Customer Support, Community, People, PR/Communications, Advertising/Monetization, User Acquisition, and other teams on legal and regulatory issues related to game development and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws related to privacy and data protection, IP, marketing, and consumer protection
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial and business affairs deals (e.g., SaaS, IP licenses, tech development, advertising, publishing platforms and service provider deals)
- Counsel and support company-wide privacy and data protection compliance processes in partnership with other cross-functional teams, including conducting global data mapping reviews, updating internal- and external-facing notices and policies, and managing and advising on internal compliance procedures
- Advise ongoing product and marketing compliance processes across the Scopely platform and game portfolio, including in relation to contests, sweepstakes, gacha mechanics, and other initiatives requiring consumer protection considerations
- Provide strategic advice to product teams regarding game features, in-game events, marketing, promotions, platform technology, and other initiatives, and provide practical advice to manage legal and regulatory risk
What you will need:
- Minimum 5+ years of combined relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department, preferably in gaming, media, or other technology
- Knowledge of privacy laws (US and international) including GDPR and CCPA and the interaction between privacy laws and contracts
- Experience advising on legal and regulatory considerations in the technology space, marketing regulations, and consumer protection
- Experience with drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts.
- Attention to detail, problem-solving mentality, and ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small)
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills and experience working with cross-functional teams at all levels (including senior management)
- Ability to multitask and re-prioritize based on changing needs
- Experience taking ownership of and solving problems, demonstrating judgement, creativity, critical analysis, and taking into account legal risk and product/business needs.
- Experience working with global teams across multiple time zones
- Experience working with mobile game developers
- Experience building a trusted advisor relationship with senior managers
- Sense of humor and a passion for mobile gaming