Lutheran Services Florida (LSF) envisions a world where children are safe, families are strong and communities are vibrant.
Since 1982, Lutheran Services Florida has been providing and sharing solutions to protect Floridas most vulnerable. Today, we are one of the largest nonprofits in Florida touching 1 in 50 Floridians with a wide range of services, including:
- early childhood education
- refugee and immigration
- mental health and substance abuse
- juvenile justice
- child welfare
LSF is looking for a talented Attorney who wants to make an impact in the lives of others.
Purpose & Impact
The Attorney will supervise and direct the CRS, ISAP, and Immigration Programs for Lutheran Services Florida.
A Day in the Life of an Attorney:
- Review, supervise, and provide feedback on the work product of program staff, including paralegals
- Represent eligible clients before the DHS and Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR).
- Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to eligible clients in accordance with the program priorities and performance measures.
- Coach and provide co-counseling support to immigration program staff on complex cases
- Identify and Provide strategic insight and feedback on funding opportunities for program expansion
- Participate in training programs, case reviews, staff meetings and other activities
- Prepare and provide community education regarding legal rights for LSF clients
- Maintain timely, accurate client records in case management system
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with local, state government agencies, and providers such as USCIS, Immigration Courts, etc.
- Ensures that all paralegals and managers maintain DJJ Accreditation, at the discretion of the Statewide Director.
- Networks with other community/state & national agencies, public and private sector providers and employers who serve refugees and immigrants
- Ensures program financial goals and objectives are met.
- Assures adequate funding and resources for all programs under supervision.
- Assist in the Development of all budgets for each program assigned.
- Hire, supervise and train qualified managers, paralegals, and staff necessary and approved for program performance.
- Directs and supervises staff regarding goal attainment and performance measures.
- Monitors all programs to assure compliance with LSF policies and procedures.
- Ensures that all required reports are provided on time and accurately.
- Makes regular administrative monitoring visits to offsite programs, at least monthly.
- Ensures quality assurance requirements.
- Approves all fiscal documents: DPV, Petty Cash, etc.
- Assists Statewide Director with the implementation of the agencys strategic plan.
- Provides strategic information to Statewide Director concerning the operations of programs.
- Business development in Immigration area
- Drives new program initiatives, including the planning, implementation and follow through
- Responsible for economic sustainability of the new program
To perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to drive, have a valid Florida Drivers License and maintain a clean driving record
- Must be able to work flexible and long hours
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Law degree from an accredited university and licensed to practice law in the State of Florida
Experience in Immigration Laws and Regulations preferred, minimum of 1-3 years of legal experience required.
- Must be highly organized and disciplined
- Must have experience working with Immigration Software, or similar case management software
- Excellent knowledge of the Immigration Law
- Able to work effectively with all types of people, to teach, train and motivate staff
- Great communication skills in English and the ability of speak one other language fluently
- Ability to understand and prepare budgets and understand government contracts
Must demonstrate sensitivity to our service populations cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and needs.
Why work for LSF?
Ability to Make an Impact in Multiple Areas
LSF offers several programs, spanning across a wide range of populations in need. This gives our team members an opportunity to learn and potentially work in programs outside of their direct area. Either way, members of the LSF family will play a part in transforming the lives of those in need.
A career at LSF means working and learning alongside talented professionals in a dynamic and inclusive environment. The values of our organization OPEN-MINDED, COMPASSIONATE, GENEROUS, VISIONARY and HONESTY drives each one of us.
People working at Lutheran Services Florida treat each other like family. Whether you work on the front lines or work in an office, you share a common bond that is felt throughout the organization.
Because of the variety of programs we offer throughout Florida, team members have the option to explore areas of interest in other programs or grow within their existing program/department.
Amazing benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision
- Teledoc (24/7 access to doctors via phone and video)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Long-term disability
- Employer paid life insurance (1X salary), AD&D
- Health and dependent care FSA
- 12 paid holidays + 1 floating holiday
- Generous PTO policy
- 403(b) Retirement plan with 3% discretionary employer match
- Tuition reimbursement
Additional Voluntary Benefits
- Short-term disability
- Group life insurance
- Accident, critical illness/Cancer and hospital policy
- Legal Shield coverage
Lutheran Services Florida embraces diversity, equity and inclusion in all business practices. LSF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.