We are looking to hire an Attorney to defend lawsuits against GEICO insureds and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), PIP lawsuits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, in the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction. Responsibilities include researching laws and preparing legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. You will render opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department. You will also prepare and handle pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath, and defend by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable. Salary and grade will be commensurate with experience.
- Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
- Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must have the following education and experience:
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing auto insurers thanks to our low rates, outstanding service and clever marketing. We’re an industry leader employing thousands of dedicated and hard-working associates. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, we offer associates training and career advancement in a financially stable and rewarding workplace.
Our associates’ quality of life is important to us. Full-time GEICO associates are offered a comprehensive Total Rewards Program*, including:
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union
* Benefit offerings for positions other than full-time may vary.
GEICO is an equal opportunity employer. GEICO conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
How to Apply
Click “Apply for Job” to complete your application. You will need an active email address and phone number. Please upload your resume, preferably as Word .doc files or PDF. Once you begin your application you can save it and access it later. Your application should include any work and/or internship experience from at least the past five years.