Are you a college or graduate student majoring in communications or specializing in social media? The USPS Office of Inspector General Communications Team has an opportunity for you! We're looking for a year-round, paid student cooperative to assist us with social media and internal and external communications. We want a team player who is willing to learn and able to work in our Arlington, VA, headquarters.
Learn more about this agency
Are you a college or graduate student majoring in communications or specializing in social media?
The U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General Communications Team has an opportunity for you! We're looking for a year-round, paid student cooperative to assist us with social media and internal and external communications. We want a team player who is willing to learn and able to work in our Arlington, VA, headquarters.
We are looking for a high-energy student who is comfortable alternating between working independently and as part of a team. You will have a passion for the importance of crafting good communications – written as well as visual. Your work will definitely be seen and heard because what we do reaches not only a geographically dispersed OIG staff of about a thousand employees, but also an external audience that includes Congress, USPS executives, employees, and their customers, as well as members of the mailing industry.
The student co-op will work closely with the Communications Team's director, writers/editors, and graphic designers to provide support in creating communications for both internal and external audiences. The position comes with a wide range of responsibilities, including gathering information and producing a daily agency-wide publication; writing news and social media announcements; monitoring social media and blog comments; writing/editing; employee engagement programs; creating PowerPoint presentations; and other duties as assigned.
The Student Cooperative Program is available for continuous employment throughout the year, while enrolled in school.
This position is being advertised at the Administrative Band level. The base salary range for this position is $14.43-$17.44/hour. Locality Pay is authorized.
Sophomore $18.83 per hour includes locality pay
Junior/Senior $20.08 per hour includes locality pay
Graduate or Law Student $22.76 per hour includes locality pay
Please note that the duties and responsibilities associated with this position may vary based upon the area of assignment. The following description of major duties and responsibilities is only intended to give applicants a general overview of the expectations. The student cooperative performs specialized duties with continuing responsibility for projects, questions, or issues that arise in the area of assignment/curriculum. Each assignment typically consists of a series of related actions or decisions prior to final completion.
- Creating a monthly Communications outreach report using Google Analytics and other tracking mechanisms
- Distributing announcements regarding OIG reports to stakeholders, Postal Service executives, and Congress (as directed)
- Managing the content for OIG social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Assisting in employee engagement programs
- Opportunities to work on video, graphic design, and photography assignments
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to pass a drug screening
- Must be able to pass a moderate background investigation
- Must be able to work up to of 30 hours per week – seeking commitment of 40 hours per week during school breaks
- Must be able to work year-round in our Rosslyn, VA office
You must meet ALL of the minimum requirements.
- Students must be currently enrolled full or half-time in an accredited college or university program, classified or academically ranked by semester hours as a Junior, Senior or Graduate student. (MUST SUBMIT TRANSCRIPT STATING CURRENT ENROLLMENT STATUS, GPA AND IN GOOD STANDING)
- Must be in academic good standing as defined by the college or university, earning at least a 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 GPA scale.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphic Design, or related field of study in an undergraduate, current undergraduate seniors advancing to a graduate program, or graduate degree program and not graduating prior to December 2021. (Minimum one year commitment.)
- Must be able to report to work year-round in the USPS OIG Rosslyn, VA office
- Must be able to work up to 30 hours per week (Monday-Friday) during core business hours during the school year and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks (ex. summer, winter).
Include your major accomplishments relevant to the evaluation factors in your resume.
- Demonstrated written and oral communications skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Prior experience working in an office environment.
Education must be accredited by an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation here: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred. Special Instructions for Candidates with Foreign Education: Education completed outside the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in U.S. education programs. You must submit all necessary documents to a private U.S. credential evaluation service to interpret equivalency of your education against courses given in U.S. accredited colleges and universities. For further information visit: http: www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Student Cooperatives are not eligible for USPS OIG Employee Benefits.
This agency provides Reasonable Accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please send an email to jobsuspsoig.gov . The decision on granting an accommodation request will be made on a case by case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Human Resources Office will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications required for this position. You will no longer be considered for this position if you: receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor; fail to attach all required documentation; if your application materials indicate that you are not minimally-qualified for this position; or if you fail to qualify on the interview. Only the top-rated candidates will be referred to a review official or the selecting official for further consideration. Top-rated applicants may be required to participate in an interview. Your rating may be further adjusted or rated as ineligible by the review official or the selecting official based on your interview performance. Once all applicant scores are finalized, the selecting official will make a final decision. NOTE: If you receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor or on the interview, you will be considered NOT MINIMALLY QUALIFIED for the position and rated ineligible.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You must submit all required documents by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date of this announcement, Vacancy Announcement 2020-96-10927472-PC, by closing date10/14/2020 .
1. RESUME. When completing your online application or uploading your resume, you must categorize it as a "Resume" document).
2. COVER LETTER. Upload a separate statement of no more than two pages showing how your skills, experience, education, and/or training address the evaluation factors for this vacancy. (Required: Upload and save as "Cover Letter" document.)
3. TRANSCRIPTS from an accredited college or university. The information presented in the transcript must be verifiable and should contain the name of the institution, applicant's name, list of completed courses, semester hours, GPA, date and type of Bachelor's Degree issued. Education completed outside the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. Attach document verifying that it has been deemed equivalent. For further information visit: http: www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . (Required: Upload and save as "Transcript" document.)
4. UPLOAD SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS which may include:
- Certificates or Licenses, if applicable. Upload and save as "Other" document.
- SF-50 if you are or have been a Federal employee to demonstrate tenure and competitive/excepted service for eligibility purposes. (If applicable to you, you are Required to upload each applicable SF-50 and categorize as a "SF-50" document.)
Veterans Preference Documentation. If you are claiming veterans preference you must submit the Member 4 copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and/or other proof of veterans preference eligibility including your VA letter, form SF-15 (www.opm.gov/forms) and all required documents related to your SF-15 claim. Veterans can request the Member 4 copy of their DD-214 at http: www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records, and can download a copy of their VA letter from https: www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal. (If applicable to you, you are required to upload each veterans' preference document and categorize as "DD-214" or "SF-15" or "Other Veterans Document")
Reasonable Accommodation Documentation. If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request, including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found at http: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.