This position is part of the Defense Media Activity. The incumbent will serve as the Chief Information Officer (CIO), responsible for managing and leading DMA's information technology and computer systems policy as a Supervisory IT Specialist with responsibility for the plans, policies, and processes required to develop and sustain a comprehensive, synergized information, communications and technology enterprise in support of the organization's operational mission and its business processes.
Learn more about this agency
This position is being filled under DoD Modified Direct Hire Authority, Section 1109; PL, 116-92, dated 12/20/2019 .
As a Supervisory IT Specialist (Policy & Planning) at the GS-2210-15 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Knowledge of information technology policies, information resources and information assurance.
- Knowledge of technical assessments, standard programs, technical interfaces, infrastructures and standards.
- Ability to manage a technical training program, projects, or strategies.
- Experience as the senior technologist in an organization; advising leaders on the use of technology to support operations; managing the technology portfolio for an DoD-component level activity.
- Experience leading an information technology workforce, delivering technology services to distributed organizational clients, assessing and projecting capability via IT enterprise architecture analysis.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Occasional Travel
- Work Schedule: Full-time
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Financial Disclosure: Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is telework eligible
- Initial drug screening is mandatory. If applicable, random periodic drug testing will be required.
This position has a Basic Requirement for the 2210 series:
Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate
GS-5 through GS-15 (or equivalent): For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. The employing agency is responsible for identifying the specific level of proficiency required for each competency at each grade level based on the requirements of the position being filled.
You may qualify at the GS -15 , if you fulfill the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service as listed below:
- Creating, implementing IT plans and policies.
- Leading IT project teams.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
This position is emergency-essential (E-E). In the event of a crisis situation the incumbent, or designated alternate must continue to perform E-E duties until relieved by proper authority. The incumbent, or designated alternate, may be required to take part in readiness exercises. This position cannot be vacated during a national emergency or mobilization without seriously impairing the capability of the organization to function effectively.
This is a DoD information Assurance (IA) Workforce Improvement Program (DoD 8570.01) position. The incumbent must obtain and/or hold a IAM Level II certification. Failure to maintain IAM certification may result in the termination of employment. New hires' must obtain the appropriate certification within 6 months of being assigned IA functions beginning the date they start in the position. Current DoD employees and contractors performing IA functions on the effective date of hire have up to 4 years to comply with the certification requirements.
This position DOES NOT meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at:
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position; Well qualified is defined as possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds the positions minimum qualifications. and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information:
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and supporting documents, to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant work experiences as it relates to the fundamental competencies required for this position.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements.
Veterans Preference: If you are entitled to veterans preference, you should indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency.
For information on entitlement see http: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).
Your complete application includes your COMPLETE resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
The following documents are REQUIRED
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format. It must include your name and contact information and support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain the number of hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e.," HRS per week and month/year" or "HRS per week and month/year to present").
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Veteran's Documents
- If applying using veteran's preference or under a Veteran's hiring authority you must submit the following documents:
- DD214 showing character of service, SF-15 Form and VA letter showing final percentage, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty.
PLEASE REVIEW THE BELOW LINK FOR OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS needed for proof of eligibility:
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.